Dynamic Mic Needs Power?

Hi,

First off: thanks for the tutorial - it was both informative and accessible.

I have a question about sound recording. I'm using a dynamic hypercardioid hand-mic. When I use it to record sound, I usually plug it directly into my macbook's line-in socket. The resultant sound is fine, but often very faint (even when I'm practically eating my mic).

It's a dynamic mic so I shouldn't need any extra power, right? But I've tried experimenting with hooking up my mic through a guitar amplifier, and the volume is suddenly fine. Is there any way I can increase the volume without putting it through a guitar amp (which, in itself, is not only inconvenient, but also seems risky)?

I suggest a microphone pre-amp if you're using it for recording. The reason it works when plugged through the guitar amplifier is because that has a pre-amp installed in it. I don't know if there's risk or not with using a guitar pre-amp for your microphone but I wouldn't attempt it personally.

Thanks. Can you recommend any budget preamps for a newbie like me? Also, what's the difference between a preamp and an audio interface? What does an audio interface do?

mic into line

December, hmm? Well, if you're still around...

A dynamic mic puts out a few millivolts when talking into it normally. A line input expects a good fraction of a volt.

It's not a matter of the mic needing an external power supply. A condenser mic, with power, would give almost the same results. It's that a mic's output is 1/100th of what you need.

I guess the Macbook doesn't have a mic input? (Green jack) In that case you have no choice but to get an external preamp or mixer to boost the level.

Dynamic mics never need power. In fact, power to them from a computer may cause problems. (Professional phantom power from a mixer, etc. is OK.) The DC power from a computer can "bottom out" the diaphragm of the mic, keeping the diaphragm from moving very much, giving you a very low output.

If you are truly using the line input as opposed to a mic input, you will need a mic preamp to get a good level.