Homemade Steadycam or Digital Video Stabilizer ?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has used and/or could recommend a video stabilizing software. And if so, does the footage put through the software looses any quality?

And about homemade Steadycams, Iíve done some research on the web and found quite a few designs that look promising.

Iím personally inclining towards using a Steadycam, since obviously having smooth footage makes editing easier, but them again I havenít try the video stabilizing software.

So, if you know or have heard of any better options, Iíd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Blog Entries
    I'd definitely go for getting stable footage in the first place. Stabilizing software won't ever produce the same results as well-shot footage. Even if it has minimal quality loss, software will always lose a little of the image around the edges.

As for software, I've used Adobe After Effects a few times for this purpose and it can be reasonably good but sometimes the footage is just too bad. Sometimes strange flickering effects are introduced or other things make it look funny.

There are other plugins and standalone applications available. Can't think of the names offhand but I'm sure someone will name a few. I've heard that you can get good results with some of them.

Still, stable shooting gets my vote.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Frank

It's always better to have as stable as possible footage in the first place as Dave says.

You definately need to take a look at my DIY page below. My favorite rig is actually the handheld one and your resultant footage is actually more stable than you expect!! These were developed directly due to the fact that camcorders are getting smaller and harder to hold steady!!

http://www.softweigh.com/video/diy.html

I have used the German SteadyPel software but don't expect micacles from any software based package.

Chris

Hey Dave, I have actually heard good things about Adobe Premier beign use for stabilizing shots, but also about the edges beign out of frame. As I read and get more feedback from friends and fellow video enthusiasts like yourself I'm learning about more alternatives on the subject. I'm going to see what I can find out about thoes plug ins you mentioned.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that link, great design ideas. Talking about diys I actually just got an e-mail for another steadycam design, I must say not bad, looks like this guys found the right combination between homemade and almost professionally made design, the sample footage on their site looks pretty decent as well. Steady Pel? nothing showed up in google, any alternative?

Thank you both for your kind advice. Frank

http://www.Steadycam-Pro.com

Again, I agree with getting stable footage in the first place. I find using anything to fix it can cause the footage to look jerky, not that I have had the pleasure of using any spectacular software.

I built a steadycam a while ago - I think it was from this guide (called the $14 steadycam): http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

It works very well and, as a bonus, is very cheap to build. Cheaper than any software, I'd wager, and with better results.

Hey Rod,

Small world I was just replying to Dave and Chris about a homemade steadycam design similar to the $14 but improved in several ways.
    http://www.Steadycam-Pro.com

thanks for your comment, though. always appreciated.

Frank

steadycam-pro.com

well this looks like a good idea, but after looking at the website thoroughly, for the life of me i can not figure out how this rig "hooks to you" can you please give me dome insight?
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Sorry Frank, didn't see your reply there!

Looks like a much better set-up than the home-made one.

well this looks like a good idea, but after looking at the website thoroughly, for the life of me i can not figure out how this rig "hooks to you" can you please give me dome insight?
    I believe the point is that you just hold it with your hands, and the weight steadies up the shot.
    Last edited by Rodwen; 6th Jan 2008 at 04:27.