Blog Entries

MC 720x360 v1.09

I've moved all the downloads and documentation for the 720x360 player to the new domain: www.mcmediaplayer.com/player/720x360/index.html

In the process I included a small update that includes these features:

- New variable: plfolders (automatically close folders in the playlist as new folders are opened)
    - Fixed a bug which caused the wrong file to play after stopping and starting the default file.
    - Added psuedo-support for M3U files (they will open in an external player).

Hopefully version 1.10 won't be too far away, which will add support for H.264 files.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

fixed

The direct link bug seems to be gone now even for the mp3 files. Thanks so much Dave. You are nearing some perfection now in present version of MCMP. I would just want to request for four more things if possible for the current version of MCMP. I know the cp may become a little cluttered but still I want these options.

(1) Optional variable to add a tiny Fullscreen button in the bottom control panel similar to one in Altair.

(2) Optional variable to add a tiny Search button directly in the bottom cp. A tiny magnifying lens button would do.

(3) Optional variable to add a tiny "File URL" link button for download directly in the bottom cp. A tiny downward arrow button would do.

A suggested improvement to the cp would be to make the Options button shorter in width with only a tools icon (not text) and also if possible a vertical volume instead of the present horizontal one. This would make enough space for the above three extra buttons if someone wants to add them via the variables.

(4) Support to play (progressive download) aac or mp4a audio files which Flash supports now if possible. This is not so greatly required like the above three because I think it may be possible to output aac audio in a mp4 container also which I have not tried yet. aacPLUS audio with parametric stereo sounds great even at 32 kbps so it would be great. Aac is fast becoming the standard live audio streaming. So maybe an aac audio streaming feature request for the new player.

This would make the present version of MCMP perfect for me with the cool new MP4 support.
    Last edited by hurry; 5th Jan 2008 at 08:19.

playlist

Three more kind requests.

(5) An optional variable to hide or remove the left expand and contract horizontal arrow in the playlist for each item since I am using the plfolders=1. Also because it is taking up too much horizontal space in the narrow playlist panel and my file names are not seen fully especially those in subfolders.

(6) For the same above reason, I also want an optional variable to hide or remove the icons next to the folder and file names in the playlist which will again save a lot of horizontal space especially for a multi-heirarchical playlist which I have. I think (5) and (6) above will solve my playlist width problem completely . Without the icons, if one can set a different text color to differentiate that it is a (click to play) file not a folder (click to open), it would great and complete.

(7) Option to add small photo thumbnails in the mouseover of each item in the playlist panel along with the description for each video file.

I think these almost end my requests for the present version of the MCMP. Many thanks Dave.

Blog Entries
    When I saw your first 4 requests I thought "Yay, I think I can do all of them". Then I saw the next 3 requests and got a bit deflated.

I think I can add an option to remove folder icons because I recall trying this at one stage. However I can't be completely sure - I may have just hard-coded it. The problem is that the playlist uses a Flash component (it's the only part of the player that does), and Flash components can be impossible to customize in some cases. I'll probably avoid components altogether in the next version.

I'm not sure about the variable playlist width. I'll look at it but I don't know how it will go.

Thumbnails have a very good chance of making it into this player... helped by the fact that it's a feature I'd like to use myself

My plans keep changing but at the moment I want to get version 1.10 released, then spend some time getting a release version of MC Altair ready, then add the features you've requested to the 720x360 version, then take a break. After the break I'll get stuck into MC Altair.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    I've released v1.10. Apart from any urgent bug fixes to the 720x360 edition, I'm off to work on MC Altair for a bit - just long enough to get a stable version ready for public beta testing. Then I'll be back to look at the requests in this thread.

BTW hurry I'll try and post a reply to your other message tomorrow.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

playlist width

Thanks so much Dave. I always look forward to your releases.

I'm not sure about the variable playlist width. I'll look at it but I don't know how it will go.
    If there is an option to hide both the arrows and icons, then it would provide a reasonable solution to the playerlist width problem for a playlist tree with sublevels even if the variable playlist adjustable width feature is not immediately possible. Even if the playlist width is adjustable, along with it, I would still like an option to hide the black arrows and icons in the playlist. I understand it is an external component so thanks for your efforts.

Video thumbnails would be a great addition.

(8) Can there be an option to set aseq (auto-sequence) for every folder in the playlist rather than only globally? Or alternatively, even better, if there can be see three variables like mp4dur=0, flvdur=0, mp3dur=0 similar to the one swfdur=0, I can set them to 0 and keep the global (auto sequence) aseq=1, then only the photo files in the player (whichever folder they are) will play in auto-sequence, one after another but not the mp4, flv, mp3 thus saving our bandwidth for the bigger media files while simultaneously allowing a nice auto-slideshow of the photos. Thanks.
    Last edited by hurry; 7th Jan 2008 at 08:24.

100%

(9) I want to make my .tv page by embedding MCMP at 100% width and 100% height in a html table. It looks great but the only problem I am facing is that the low 182 kbps (320x240) videos are getting stretched out and thus become pixelated and blurry. Dave, is there any way that even if we stretch the player at 100% width and height, it will still force the videos to play in their original size in the player rather than stretching them. That would solve my .tv problem. Otherwise I would not be able to embed MCMP using 100%. The 182 kbps have become very popular with the visitors with low internet speeds so they will be a necessity from now on.

(10) Thanks for the new global downloadDir variable. The problem is that I am hosting all the high resolution or additional video files on a video sharing site where they don't have a single directory for my files. I only have the individual direct urls to the videos. I would certainly use the option to provide additional links to the high resolution quality video file and the mp3 audio file for the video playing in the player. It would save me from having to add additional duplicate items in the playlist for the same video. So Dave, my kind request is:

Please provide optional file specific three links variables option to add three additional links in the Info popup for each media file:

(a) Addiing the direct link to an additional higher or lower quality version for the same video.
    (b) Adding the direct link to an audio only mp3 version.
    (c) Adding an url link to a forum topic where the video has abeen posted for further discussion about that video. This would solve my comment problem for each video as people can go directly to that video's forum topic and leve comments or discuss that video.

(11) I am planning an interesting and instant way to add a link to my MCMP player on main portal home page but I need your help for that. I want it to directly popup the MCMP Player Full Screen (Flash 9 feature) if they left-click a button (iframe). I want to make a small iframe like a button and embed the page with the MCMP inside that small iframe. Only a small top left portion of the MCMP would be visible in the iframe. But if they click it, it MCMP would directly open fullscreen. This would be only possible if you can kindly add an optional feature of making it go fullscreen on a single left-click of anywhere on the MCM Player similar to what some Silverlight players have. In this way, I won't need to show the full MCMP on my main portal page but still there would be an instant way to access MCMP fullscreen by making such a prominent iframe button. I know that presently people would be able to right-click that iframe button and select Go Full Screen but the problem is right-click and Go FullScreen involves two steps and it will need some explanation to be given to them thus this iframe button won't be user-friendly if it by right-click. I hope you understand Dave.

I have added almost all my requests and problems about the present MCMP in this thread as you said you will kindly take it up soon. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by hurry; 7th Jan 2008 at 08:51.