A photoshop workstation question (sorry if this has been asked already !)

Hi, im pretty new to the site (about twenty minutes to be exact!) great site with lots of usefull stuff for someone like me. My pc is finally giving up the ghost and now spends more time chugging away at the harddisk and witha boot time of exactly 2 minutes 45 sec! SO im going to buy or build a dedicated workstation for video and photo editing, ive come up with the following specs below, if anyone has any input i would be very grateful from your experience !

vista 64
    adobe cs3
    2 Quad-Core Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)
    4 gb ram ( or as much as i can afford)
    150 gb western digital 10,000 rpm drive for the O/S

34 gb western digital 10,000 rpm drive for O/S page file
    34 gb western digital 10,000 rpm drive for photoshop scratchdisk
    (the reason for the two 34 gb drives is i understand photoshop doenst like the page file and scatch disk together)
    2 x 500 gb 7200 rpm drives for data in RAID 1 for data redundancy

any ideas or changes to what i have above would be greatly appreciated !

many thanks

Hi punga_express, welcome to the site.

You're getting the WD raptor X for your desktop's HDD huh... that sounds good, but ever considering getting another HDD to be installed on your desktop (I assume the 2X500GB RAID 1 is running as an external drive?), maybe a S ATA (rpm 7200) 320G HDD? Running on P.Shop and editing program (eg like Premiere) needs quite a bit of space for both the program as well as storage of rushes (raw unedited videos) and photos (if you shoot RAW and do adjustments). And it's better to store and work with projects on board the desktop's HDD rather than an external, no matter how high the speed now..

Also you did not mention your graphics card, which is important. Besides all these, the choice of ports (eg no of USB 2.0, firewire 400/800 or whatever faster transfer technologies.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

hi, the 2 x 500gb disks in raid 1 are installed on the desktop (internal) and used for data , my fault for not being clearer !

graphics card wise ive been looking at the nvidia 8800gts (ive been known to play the occasional game, sad i know !) with a view at a later date to also add one of the cards from matrox rt series when funds have sufficiently recovered !