Blog Entries

Warner Bros sides with Blu-ray

Looks like Warner Bros, currently the only major studio to release movies in both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats, has decided to drop HD-DVD and back Blu-ray exclusively. Their press release is here:
    http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Interestingly, their logic seems to be that the war needs to be sorted out and a winner declared before consumers will begin buying with confidence. Whether or not this is PR-talk, it's the first time I've heard a studio come out and admit that people aren't buying until a winner is declared.

I've stubbornly resisted buying a player largely because I wanted to add my voice to the message - we consumers have had a guts-full of format wars and we demand an end. Sort out a format and present it to us. When there's a clear decision I'll hand over my money.

Good on you Warner Bros. Of course I'm only saying that because they've gone with the format I want to win, but anyway....

go blu-ray!!!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I think i'm a little left off with the news...what war are you talking about exactly? i mean some real war or a corporative / business war.

Blog Entries
    It's a business war between the backers of two different high-definition DVD formats. In short, there are two formats competing to be the next-generation version of DVD: Blu-ray and HD-DVD. See also Blu-ray vs HD-DVD.

Just like the old format war between VHS & Betamax, the big companies have divided themselves into two camps and started a corporate war that includes misinformation, confusion and general consumer-bashing. It's outrageous that the companies are still prepared to make consumers suffer another format war and we shouldn't stand for it.

Anyway, it turns out that the deciding battles in this war are likely to be in Hollywood. The major studios decide which formats they will release movies on, then consumers buy players that have the most movies available. Until now the studios have been fairly evenly split, with a bit of a bias towards Blu-ray. Now that Warner Bros have gone exclusively with Blu-ray the split of major studios looks somthing like this:

Blu-ray: Warner Bros, Disney, Fox, Sony, Lionsgate and MGM
    HD-DVD: Viacom (Paramount, DreamWorks), Universal

This is a very bad blow for HD-DVD and the timing makes it worse - the eve of the influential Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. In fact the HD DVD Promotion Group was supposed to hold a press conference there but cancelled it.

It would be interesting to see what happened if Viacom had not recently signed a contract to support HD-DVD, and I wonder if they are regretting it now. I also wonder how long it will be before their contract expires or they use some escape clause to get out of it.

The war may not be over but I think it would take a miracle for HD-DVD to recover from this. A few months ago I might have said they could afford to buy a miracle (e.g. dump thousand of players on the market at a loss) but having spent a lot of money already paying for Viacom's support, how much more blood can they afford to lose?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Well i think blu-ray is a good choice and will be the "future" disc. anyway thanks for the big explanation.

I have not made up my mind as to what format i like better. i deal with both on a regular basis.....at this rate it looks like sony and the Movie industry may make up my mind for me
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!