Thread: Wikia Search

Blog Entries

Wikia Search

Jimmy Wales (co-founder of Wikipedia) has launched an alpha version of a new search engine called Wikia Search (http://search.wikia.com). It's a community-driven search engine - a model that has been tried without much success in the past. However Jimmy does have a track record and may be able to attract a lot of support.

So far reviews haven't been kind and the search results are poor. However this is acknowledged on their home page and it is an alpha version so we shouldn't expect too much just yet.

I personally think user-influenced search engines have some significant problems. Just look at the effort spammers make to influence Google results - if Wikia Search was worth the same effort they'd be able to employ thousands of drones to try and skew results. It would be potentially much more of a minefield than similar problems at Wikipedia (which are already pretty bad).

Time will tell.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

New SE?

Nag..

didn't show me up in the first place

Anyway, I'll give more chances from time to time
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Blog Entries
    Same here... absent from results

I remember having the same worry when MSN Live started though - it just took a bit of time for my sites to be noticed. They got there in the end.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com