mid range in mic

Hi, as you know, I just started running sound for the worship thing we do at night. Now I work with a six channel mixer, that only has a high, and a low eq. On the pulpet microphone, I allways get a lot of mid range, even when the high and low is turned up all the way. What can I do about this?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

new mics, or mixer, or People
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Quote: ivan
    View Post
    Hi, as you know, I just started running sound for the worship thing we do at night. Now I work with a six channel mixer, that only has a high, and a low eq. On the pulpet microphone, I allways get a lot of mid range, even when the high and low is turned up all the way. What can I do about this?

Depends on what type of mic it is, the problem would probably be in the overall voicing of the system in general such as room acoustics type of speakers, eq settings on the main speakers and so on, seeing how voice is primarily mid and high mid frequencies that would be a majority of what would come through the mic anyway. if that mic is very problematic for you and the channel that you use for it has an insert, try inserting a graphic or parametric eq for the mic.

Well I moved the mic away from the speakers a bit, and that worked! Strange, huh? Can you explain this?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

chances are that is a feedback issue. although it may not be apparent you were probably on the verge as the microphone was picking the signal from the speakers back up and was probably on the verge of what would be called a feedback loop. as always position the mic so that it has little or no opportunity to pick up what is coming out of the speakers. rule number one

could be bad preamps and mics. If your using a dynamic and your using the mixers onboard preamps it will sound like midrange crap