Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    As I said I want a good one. Should I understand that Canon and Sony are the best?

What do you plan on doing with this camera? taking photographs or snapshots? portrait, still-life, and landscape works or candids?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Blog Entries
    If you can, check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX50. I bought this for my wife because she likes to do simple point and shoot when family and friends get together. Whenever she hands over the camera to someone else to take our picture - all we ever hear is, "WOW! Nice camera."

After playing with her camera, I felt I didn't have enough control. So, finally I had a real desire to get back into photography and I bought myself a Canon Rebel XTi.

Happy Hunting!

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Quote: pal
    View Post
    As I said I want a good one. Should I understand that Canon and Sony are the best?
    No. well maybe,

I would say that the Cannon or Nikon brands are the "best" just depends on what you are really looking for.

i guess if i was on a strict 500 budget, and was not willing to save a few more dollars. I would buy this camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Rebel_XT.html

Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Canon PowerShot A570 may be suitable

Quote: nagar
    View Post

You might want to consider Canon digital cameras (no disposables). The cheaper Canon PowerShot A460, 5.0 mega-pixels (costs about USD130 as suggested retail price, which means you'll almost certainly get it cheaper in the stores near you). Add an extra battery and one/two 2G (4G cards are still a little dear) memory card/s, and you might even have enough to print your pictures.

That's a quick suggestion. Let the good people know if there's anything you might want to ask.
    Thanks for it, I would surely get this one.

Do remember to test it out at the stores. Have lots of fun, and take lots of pictures.

A quick aside, I have been doing some surveying (with the help of friends buying cameras), based on the few criteria:

1. Picture Quality on-screen and in print (yup I know most will put budget, but as a hardcore photog this tops)

2. Cost

3. User ergonomics (both user interface and physical shape)

4. Features (good but not needful to have, and I am usually not interested by this)

I would still put my word to it that the winner brand for the general-consumer market is Canon
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

I have a Canon iXUS 7megapixel camera and it is awesome. It's small, about the size of a packet of 20 cigs so fits in your front pocket. Never gets left behind like my SLR which is a pain to carry around.

Takes beautiful pictures but it has a large LCD screen so the rechargable battery doesn't last long if using it to take photos. It does have a built in view finder but it's not as good as using the screen. It uses SD memory cards which are cheap.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

My two cents:

Be willing to spend some time reading reviews by several highly-regarded, informative websites (none of which I can point you to directly since I am a new member). You will learn about digital photography, you will see sample shots that either make you go "wow!" or go "eeewwwww!", you will learn what both "professional" reviewers regard as the best brands for each use, and also what their readers (these sites often have forums) regard as the best and worst.

There are SO many questions to answer that will help narrow your choices. One that was already asked was price, and you've answered that. Others include pocketability, need for the cam to also take video, optical zoom range desired, whether or not you want to avoid use of flash or don't mind using it in lower-light conditions, what size prints you want to make OR if you just want to display them on a computer screen or post them on the web, whether you want to photograph fast-moving objects (sports, etc.), etc.

I fairly recently bought my Mom, who truly needs a simple point-and-shoot, the Canon SD700IS, which got excellent reviews for being just that, plus being small so very pocketable/purseable, which she wanted. Because of my own desire to use natural lighting (no flash) in even low-light situations, I got myself (on a great sale) the Fuji F20 (later F-series mostly also do well in low light due to larger sensor). However, because I also wanted a long zoom, I bought a SECOND cam, not so pocketable, the Canon S3 IS, 12X optical zoom. Which I use depends on the situation. With $500, you could potentially buy 2 cameras, as I did. The next cam I am going to look seriously at as an upgrade to my F20 is the upcoming Fuji F100fd.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but others already have. Sit down for a few hours with a cup of your favorite beverage, search for "digital camera reviews", sit back and soak in some great info. And of course, this site seems to have a bunch of fine info as well (just starting to take it in myself).

- gimme

my 2c

Well, I can't say I've used the Canons, etc. Though I've used my gransfather's Nikon and drooled a little. I am, however, very pleased with the FujiFinepix S5700 I picked up on clearance sale last year. A$350 though I understand they've naturally come down again since then. The S5800 is out now, so if you see the 5700 around it'll be old stock. But I'm more than happy with it. 7MP, 10x optical zoom, takes SD & xD cards, reasonable battery life when using NiMH and the flash. You've the option of plain old "point & shoot" mode (full auto) or got to manual or semi-manual if you feel like fiddling.
    For play, I've set it on delayed shot, long exposure & pointing at the night sky. In the city. And it caught stars (and a meteor). That impressed me. Also does a nice sunset and - if your eye is good & hand is steady - you can get some good parts to assemble into panoramas later on.

The viewscreen on the back is of good size - an improvement over my old BenQ - and it doesn't suffer washout on bright summer days when the mercury is hitting 42 celcius like the BenQ (and my previous phones!) did

Oh and that "SuperCCD" tech Fuji brag about impressed me too.

Only real downside is size - they're pretty big! Although I see gimmepizza mentions another Fuji that I've read good reviews about.

Anyway, that's my bit. If the OP had $500 to spend, well the options are very open with that sort of budget!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast