Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vhs-c gets stuck

I am coying my old vhs-c tapes to DVD. Unfortunately some of the tapes get stuck and do not reproduce well.
    I guess there must be a number of tricks to deal with this?
    I am using a regular VHS-C adapter and the tapes are about 12 years old. About half of them give problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Ruben B.

Blog Entries
    Hello Ruben,
    What do you think is the problem? Could it be the tape machine or do you think it's the tape? It's a bit tricky trying to troubleshoot without seeing what's happening. Have you tried another machine? If the machine is fine, then maybe the tape may be the problem. Try fast forwarding the tape to the very end and let it rewind fully. The tape may be creating some tension by being sticky. If the tape is actually oozing... you got a bigger problem on your hands.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks SC,

The machine works fine for normal VHS bands, but you're right that I should try other machines.
    I have tried fastforwarding and (fast) rewinding to no avail, although Is saw the speed of winding increase as I repeated it.
    I hoped there would be some way or service to rescue tapes like this. As you can guess, there are some precious (to me) images on these tapes .

Ruben

Hi, do you have a VHS tape rewinder with cleaning cylinders (replaceable, and be used both dry and wet). That might help a little with the tape.. try dry rewinding, and playback on your VCR, before attempting to put cleaning solutions on the rewinder. Also I'd suggest you try them to the tape you are most prepare to part with in case something drastic happens (like tape getting caught or snapping)

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty. I had to part with about 50 dear VHS tapes last year because of molds, so I can understand (in part) what you might be going through.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Werberg

Are you perhaps using a VHS-C to VHS adapter??? It looks like a VHS tape and the C-Tape drops into it. Is so, some (or most) have a little battery inside them to pre-load the tape into the dummy VHS adapter and yours is bound to be flat!!!

If your tape housing is faulty it is possible to transfer the tape from the C cassette to a standard VHS cassette manually (use white cotton gloves if you touch the tape)
    I have done this a couple of times and had success with the transfer. The tape inside a C- cassette is the same 1/2" tape found in a regular cassette so it's quite practical to move just the tape.
    Because you will have to transfer and wind by hand, run the new cassette in your VCR both fowrad and back to tension the tape. It's a drastic and painful operation but it does work!!

Chris

yes, I do use a VHS-C to VHS adapter. Seems the battery is OK, since more than half of the bands play OK. I can (to some extent) also fast- forward (however it is not really fast) and rewind. It seems to me the problem is in the tape itself, but transferring it to a regylar VHS cassette may work nevertheless. It's gonna take some time, but if it works for one it will give me the courage to do it for the other ten or so as well!

Do you guys think that if playing back and forth (ff and rewind) for 5 times does not solve the problem, it is worthwhile to try it even more times? Or does it aggrevate the problem?

yes, I do use a VHS-C to VHS adapter. Seems the battery is OK, since more than half of the bands play OK. I can (to some extent) also fast- forward (however it is not really fast) and rewind. It seems to me the problem is in the tape itself, but transferring it to a regylar VHS cassette may work nevertheless. It's gonna take some time, but if it works for one it will give me the courage to do it for the other ten or so as well!

Do you guys think that if playing back and forth (ff and rewind) for 5 times does not solve the problem, it is worthwhile to try it even more times? Or does it aggrevate the problem?

Hi Ruben

5 times is plenty. If the cassette is still sticky or slow after that then there is a problem!!!

Chris

I'm with Chris on this. And oops.. I forgot about the VHS-C-VHS adapter!!

The suggestion to transfer it to a VHS tape casing might work if it really is a matter with the casing mechanisms. This shouldn't be too risky to do. Just lay your tape on a flat surface, unscrew, and slowly remove the lid case...

Looking forward to hear the verdict. All the best!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: werberg
    View Post
    You shouldn't be 'playing' it for this. You should be inserting the tape and then just fastforward and then rewind without engaging the playback heads. If your tape really is having issues, it may damage and/or get stuck to the playback head and cause your deck to need a cleaning.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast