Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Format change losses

I was just wondering...does changing the format of a video file affect the quality of it? better to say i'm interested in the framerate.

i've captured some video files from a miniDV camcoder, as i know this "original" movie file (AVI) contains 29.970 frames per second. corect? My only problem is that the "original" avi file is too big, it has a resolution of 720 x 576, duration of 30 seconds and a size of 110 mb.

NOW...what happens if i import this movie file into sony vegas 7.0 and render it as uncompressed WMV? for example. Do i lose framerate or not? Practically i want to use these files to create a slow motion video file out of it and i'm affraid that by converting them to wmv i will lose that smooth slow motion i'm getting now with the original files.

Did anybody do a same kind of process? or maybe you've got an advice...cause i've sure got a lot of more questions

BR,
    Aron

For the record, before anybody launches some useless critics, i've been trying and experimenting this whole problem, exporting to mpeg2, wmv, avi, mov. I've even "played" with bitrate settings, encoding and audio. No satisfying restults....the wmv seems a little blurry, the mpeg2 seems interlaced...i can't really figure it out. I just needed a "second" opinion i don't really have anybody else to talk about this kind of things.

Practically i would like to transform the files in avi (i'd prefer avi)...with same bit rate, same audio quality same framerate and same resolution same everything only LESS SPACE

So i'm gonna answer a question that somebody will probably ask "what are you going to do with the files" A: the files are strictly for editing but i want to keep them on hard drive and not have my house full of dvd-s. I'd prefer avi so that if i write a data dvd anybody could visualize the files on a computer or dvix dvd-player. I guess you got the idea....

Hi Piry
    If your Video is 720x576 then it's PAL format so the framerate will be 25fps not 29.970
    Captured video is done in DV-AVI format and usually occupies around 14-15GB per hour of footage.

Any compression prior to editing is a bad thing as you will end up with a more lossy file due to the compression so rather edit with the DV file and then render the video in Vegas to what you want.

In a nutshell ... render to MPEG2 DVD Compliant for DVD and it will be rendered at around 6000kbps and be suitable for a DVD disk

If you are looking at web video then render in Vegas to a WMV file and use the 512K option and then in "Custom Options" set your frame keep quality around 50. This will give you a WMV file that uses around 3mb per minute of space.

If you are using Dave's player and want stunning video then render the DV file to an MPEG2 and then use FlixPro to convert it to an FLV file.

I have some examples below of the quality with Dave's player and these were done as 512K FLV files from MPEG2 video rendered in Vegas 7

http://www.softweigh.com/biz/

Hopefully all this might help you????

Chris

Hi Piry

I missed a bit of your question. Storage of Raw Footage : If you are going to edit your footage then ANY conversion is going to give you a loss!! The simple rule is edit with DV-AVI footage only!! I know the storage of raw footage can be a problem but bear in mind that you can fit 8 hours of raw footage onto a 120GB drive and they don't really cost a lot nowdays!! You can of course keep your MiniDV tapes which take up virtually no space but then you have to recapture the data if you want to use it. DVD's are really not good to keep raw footage unless you are shooting very short clips. Bear in mind that a standard DVD physically can write only approx 4.2GB of data (not 4.7GB) and that equates to less than 17minutes of DV-AVI
    video.

Chris

Then is there any tool/software that can edit video footage (AVI or mpg) without any loss? I'm always frustrated because, the video that i captured on my miniDV and HD camcorder has good quality but after my edit and conversion (either AVI or mpg using window moviemaker or NERO), the video quality really s***s?

PS: I always wonder how does the TV production done this without loosing the video quality. I bought the HD camcorder just for the purpose of getting a better video quality than my miniDV, but what i'm getting after the edit/conversion is just a little better video quality than my miniDV (

Any advise????

Below are one of my editted videos:
    http://engteng.wordpress.com/videography/ready-action/

Hi Tangteng
    DV-AVI is "considered" lossless although it's still compressed 15% or so.
    Just remember that your final rendered file must suit the media it is being shown on!! MPEG2 is fine for SD TV as it's resolution is probably better than the TV itself. If you are doing web video then you HAVE to compress so people can watch it!! I still find that rendering to MPEG2 and converting to FLV gives the best compromise. (You will ALWAYS have to compromise between size and quality for online video anyway)

Remember that TV stations are starting off with a far better raw footage than MiniDV (at least DigiBeta or higher) so don't compare MiniDV to that.

Also by using You Tube you are allowing them to convert. Rather make the FLV file yourself and use Dave's player

Chris

Few more questions

To get the best quality out of the video..
    1) If i want to do editting, which video format is best (.avi, mpg...etc)?
    2) After editting to completed movie files, what movie files format should i convert to? This movie file i will save it to my PC, which will be used later in creating chapters in DVD.
    3) From movie files to DVD, is there any video software that is the best to use, without compromising the video quality? I'd consider myself an immediate video editor, any advise on video software to use??

Notes: These are the 3 steps that i do from my HD camcorder to DVD.
    1) Convert the .MTS to .MPG for editting.
    2) Then save the .MPG snippets of clips (from editting) again as .MPG (this is when all these snippets are combined into 1 .MPG file).
    3) Use all the editted .MPG files to create chapters/menu in DVD.

Hi Tangteng

Always try to use the native format that your camera exports to. With SD it's DV-AVI and with HD you have a couple of choices.

I would use a decent editor too!! I used Sony Vegas 7 which handles both SD and HD

For DVD you need MPEG2 files that are DVD Compliant (usually 6000kbps video and 48K audio)

I use DVDLab from Mediachance for my DVD authoring but it's all a matter of choice

Chris

Thanks Chris. Heard alot about Vegas 7, probably i'll try that on my HD content. Appreciate it.

I'm sorry i didn't have time to get back on the topic, i'm leaving the city now and i will analyze the answers when i get back. thank you very much for replying

Aron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast