Image degradation by resizing images with height/width properties?

Greetings (again),

Is image degradation by resizing images using the height and width properties an issue?

I currently resize all my images in PhotoShop, thinking it will do a better job of resizing images (and by resizing I mostly mean shrinking) than what the browsers can do. Am I wasting my time?

Also, if I use the height and width properties, is the image resized before being downloaded, thereby saving bandwidth? Or does the resizing occur on my machine without any savings in bandwidth?

Thanks,
    Alra111

Blog Entries
    You are right to resize the images in Photoshop first. Using HTML to resize is a bad idea - it does degrade the image (more than Photoshop) and it often uses more bandwidth than necessary. The image file itself isn't resized - the size is changed on the fly for presentation only. In fact if you copy the image location and paste it into a new browser window/tab, you'll see the image at the original size.

BTW, make sure you try different resize options in Photoshop as well. When you change the image size there's a drop-menu below where it says "Resample Image". Have a look at the different options and choose the one best for your situation.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com