Speaker wire into a mixer?

This is for a band plugging into a sound system for performance....

im sorry if this is a dumb question...but i came across this site and the people in these forums seem to be helpful.

we have been using speakers that plugged into our powered mixer with 1/4" cables. These speakers are large and bulky though and recently we came across a set of newer smaller speakers that are JBL lying around.

The thing is, the back of it seems to connect using speaker wire (it has black and red clamp things in the back) and i don't know how to connect the other end of speaker wire to our mixer.

is this even possible? i went to guitar center and they told me that if the speakers im using uses speaker wire then u can't hook it up to a mixer. is that true?

any help would be great. thanks!

that depends... what outputs are you using? What are your current speakers [make and model]?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

you said you have a powered mixer so yes they can be hooked up, it is possible, however sounds like you have a set of home audio speakers on your hands. Unless they are install speakers like the control series or the percision series as none of the popular portable JBL pro speakers made in the past 15 years or so would be set up with an input configuration like you had described including the MR, Sound factor, JRX, TR, SR, SRX, Mpro, Caberet, M series and so on, they all have 1/4" and or speakon inputs. So if this is the case and these are Consumer audio speakers such as the studio series I would not advise that you use them for the purpose of live performance such as vocals and instruments as they are not designed for that use. If they are pro and an Install type speaker than you also must be aware that they may be transformered to work with 70v systems and that would present another issue. But the question as to how would still be easy, the powered mixer has 1/4" inputs, just take a regular 1/4"-1/4" 16-12awg speaker cable and cut one end off, usually there would be a black and white or black and red, if you dismantle the other intact end you can see which color is connected to the tip and that would be positive, negative would be the other. Here is the interesting part, depending on how old the JBL speakers are the black may be the positive or as they would say "foward cone movement" this may ad some confusion. But normally the standard practice would be red positive and black negative. If you got more questions just provide some model numbers of the gear.

Quote: peter miller
    View Post
    you said you have a powered mixer so yes they can be hooked up, it is possible, however sounds like you have a set of home audio speakers on your hands. Unless they are install speakers like the control series or the percision series as none of the popular portable JBL pro speakers made in the past 15 years or so would be set up with an input configuration like you had described including the MR, Sound factor, JRX, TR, SR, SRX, Mpro, Caberet, M series and so on, they all have 1/4" and or speakon inputs. So if this is the case and these are Consumer audio speakers such as the studio series I would not advise that you use them for the purpose of live performance such as vocals and instruments as they are not designed for that use. If they are pro and an Install type speaker than you also must be aware that they may be transformered to work with 70v systems and that would present another issue. But the question as to how would still be easy, the powered mixer has 1/4" inputs, just take a regular 1/4"-1/4" 16-12awg speaker cable and cut one end off, usually there would be a black and white or black and red, if you dismantle the other intact end you can see which color is connected to the tip and that would be positive, negative would be the other. Here is the interesting part, depending on how old the JBL speakers are the black may be the positive or as they would say "foward cone movement" this may ad some confusion. But normally the standard practice would be red positive and black negative. If you got more questions just provide some model numbers of the gear.
    ok, so i got a chance to look at the speakers, they are JBL Control 10.
    the back has those black and red clip things for speaker wire, and the only kind of output from our mixer is 1/4".

does ur method of cutting off one end of 1/4"-1/4" wire still work with this model speakers? and is this safe? thanks!!

What is the output on the mixer labeled? Better yet, what is the make and model of the mixer? (and maybe a link to its manual in pdf form)
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Blog Entries
    If possible, maybe you could even take a photo of it and post it so that we could see for ourselves if you cannot get the other information. Naturally, the photo should not be blurry.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    What is the output on the mixer labeled? Better yet, what is the make and model of the mixer? (and maybe a link to its manual in pdf form)
    got to take a look at the mixer... found out its a Yamaha emx2000

This link of manual in PDF is here:
    http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yama...mixers/emx2000

Let me know if that link works guys