Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

video editing project needs help..

hi all,

I will need a new computer for high-end video editing production. Not as high level as TV production but you know what i'm talking about. So...what do I need to make this happen? which motherboard? 2 or 4G of memory? HD? which vid card? do I need 2 30 inchers or just 1 is good enough? budget isn't a problem cuz my boss is rich.

as for the software....anyone knows any good video editing programs to use? Are there any way to get trained to use those softwares? how much is the cost? or do we have to play around the program ourself?

Thanks!

My first question is what are you going to be editing?
    Have you selected your camera(s) yet?
    Depending on what you are going to be using/recording to; MiniDV, DVPro, Hard Drive, DVD?

Standard Definition or HDV, BluRay?

All of that will help decide what software and hardware you will need.

Quote: Chuck Engels
    View Post
    My first question is what are you going to be editing?
    Have you selected your camera(s) yet?
    Depending on what you are going to be using/recording to; MiniDV, DVPro, Hard Drive, DVD?

Standard Definition or HDV, BluRay?

All of that will help decide what software and hardware you will need.
    hi, thanks for replying..
    We haven't picked the camera yet, but probably HD...any suggestions?
    we're starting this online education business, my boss wants to record his lecture and then publish it online. He wants at least 2 cameras running simultaneously, one at him, the other one at audiences in the room. the So I assume it's going to be consumer mid-high lvl type of production?

We'll also record the desktop powerpoint presentation while he's giving out lectures so when we edit, we can combine the powerpoint with his lecture.

Given that scenario, what type of equipments do we need to run the recording and type of equipment we need to do the editing?
    this is my boss idea and we're starting evertying from the scratch. I know we'll need to get a very powerful computer and big nice monitor just for that. Do I need 2 30 inchers or just one? Dell or Eizo or Gateway? Duo core or quad core? 2 gb or 4 gb of ram? how big of the harddrive do we need? mother board? and which vid card would fit our needs? budget is not a problem at all. Thanks!!! i really appreciate your help.

Quote: billybeartku
    View Post
    budget is not a problem at all.
    I'm sorry to sound like a cynic, but usually when people write things like this, they have a price that they expect to spend. Are you saying that if I gave you a solution that was $120,000 that could do it properly, you would go for it?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

My church just spent $500,000+ to completely switch from SD to HDV.
    We have 6 cameras, but they only cost about $10,000 each. Most of the money is in the switchers and other equipment.

Do you want this to be professional? Even with two cameras you could be looking at the price mentioned above, $120,000 easy.

Are you going to be doing all of the editing in post production or will you have a director and use a switcher during the event?

You might want to check out all of the options available and you might want to find out what your budget is, that will make all the difference.

Can you do it for a lot cheaper? Yes. Do you want to? That is the question you need to answer. If you have $100,000 to spend my camera recommendations will be a lot different than if your budget is $5000

hi,

just had another meeting with the boss. He just wants to do a short vid clip for now, something like 5-10 min long vid recorded in our conference room and see how much volume we could attract then go from there.

So at this stage, i think the 1000 dollar type of bestbuy camcorder would do it? 2 camcorders in one room, one at the lecturer, the other at the audience. But seriously, we really dont' know what type of camera we will need in order for this to happen...any suggestion? We'll do the post production ourself. So we'll buy Adobe premier and after effect. Mac set up around 8k? if we use 8 GB of memory and 1TB of hard drive.

If you are going with a MAC then use Final Cut and After Effects, not Premiere (my opinion). If you want to save about $5000 on the computer you could get a PC and then use Premiere and After Effects. You can get a great PC for around $3000 that will be great for video editing.
    Here are some recommendations based on Dell systems
    http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1640

As a matter of fact for what you are doing you only need Premiere Elements, and no After Effects.
    I do lots of post production work with just Premiere Elements, lots of effects and titles, nothing super fancy but does a great job at a very reasonable cost. Premiere Elements contains lots of the same features you find in Encore DVD, Premiere Pro, Audition and After Effects, check out the trial version (PC only).

Check the camcorder reviews at camcorderinfo.com make sure you get something that is good in low light and has 3CCDs. Probably looking at a minimum of $700 each, might want to go with something like the Canon HV20 it can shoot HDV or SD and is a very nice camera for the price. It isn't professional or fancy however.
    Whatever you do be sure to stick to a tape based camera, MiniDV or DVPro, don't go down the DVD or hard drive camcorder road no matter what the salesperson tells you

Hi,

I work at my Church as a Video Editor and we run with Final Cut Studio on a Mac. We do alot of uploading to the web. If you say that you are looking for high end video production just below TV, FCP would be the way to go. It runs with virtually every format (HD included) and can do anything that you want it to. It's not quite AVID (which is used for most TV productions), although saying that, I have worked with some guys who have done national programs with Final Cut on a Mac.

Unless you are looking to set up a Professional editing suite and you're only chucking some stuff online, I'll go with Chuck's cheaper option of Premiere on PC.

That all said, I'm love FCP and if you are going to learn how to edit, go with FCP. It's something that you can stay on for a long time and you won't have to upgrade to a better editing system once you want to take what you are doing to the "next level". Also If you go all out and get the Final Cut Studio, you won't need to record your bosses powerpoints. It has the graphics programs to recreate the points. It will look much more professional.

As for Camera's we've gone for the cheapest option, while still staying Professional, with SONY's Z1P's. They go for around $5000 USD. They film in HD 1080i (it's not the proper HD), or you can buy some more expensive camera's that film in 1080p. Production can be a very expensive game to play if you are looking to go down the professional road.

If you need help with training, I don't mind pointing you in the right direction!

solve my?

Hey dude, im currently workin on fpc, in know everything about the machine,i have a macbook pro and my i macs on its way,i hav an hp 2122 on which i have a adobe premier licenced version,so i don need this info all i need to know is the answer to my question, how do i dub frm dvd?

Quote: brian_rdx@hotmail.com
    View Post
    Hey dude, im currently workin on fpc, in know everything about the machine,i have a macbook pro and my i macs on its way,i hav an hp 2122 on which i have a adobe premier licenced version,so i don need this info all i need to know is the answer to my question, how do i dub frm dvd?
    A bit off topic for this thread but, you can't rip a DVD in Premiere Pro.
    You can in Premiere Elements however, but with Premiere Pro you will need a third party tool and should convert the VOB files to DV-AVI to save yourself some problems later. mpegstreamclip is an option, Premiere Elements is another, VideoRedo is another. These are all programs the Premiere users have tried and we know that they will work well and produce files that Premiere will be able to edit and export.
    Last edited by Chuck Engels; 1st Feb 2008 at 18:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast