Computer Setup on Media Scheduling

Open to anyone who can help me out!!

The Objectives:
    Setup and configure a computer (networkly) that can store media (VHS/ DVD) that is transfered to a hard drive and to be setup differently each day or a set schedule (monday to saturday) to show on 2 different TV monitors.

What I have so far...
    • Computer that is network ready, 360GB HDD, 2GB RAM, XP Pro, ethernet cable, and power cable.
    • Connections to the VHS/DVD combo to feed to 2 TV monitors.
    • DVD Burner.
    TV Monitors.

I'm a bit confused in putting this all together...actually this is my first time and I think the only way I'll learn is learning from any of you.

I have a computer ready...I just need to know what software or other hardware devices that I will need to install in this computer or externally to make this work. I'm also looking into a converter or hardware device to convert VHS tapes to DVD or VHS tapes directly to a PC computer. These are the media resources that the organization had invested into 5+ years ago and are looking into making everything digital. If any of you have any ideas or proposed solutions please let me know.

Any comments or opinions that you might have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

aphseeker

Blog Entries
    I used to use a product from www.scala.com for a similar application. I don't know if they have anything that fits your needs completely but they would be worth a look. Scala is an old company with a good reputation.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

What is your full target media and market? Will this need to run 24/7? What is your budget?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

RE: tonsofpcs

"tonsofpcs: What is your full target media and market? Will this need to run 24/7? What is your budget?"

Our company's target is health care...for better education and culturally to all of our patients old and new. Each language/s are important because in house we provide at least 10 languages for all ranges for our patients.

Market: Pretty much everyone that needs health care needs in the Los Angeles/ Hollywood area.

No. It doesn't need to run 24/7. It will be shown in two different waiting room area, but in 2 or 3 years there are plans for expanding to another building and it will also be a health care facility.

Budget: Right now there isn't any. Once I have all of the information then I bring it to our board of directors then it is up to them to make a final decision especially on a budget for this kind of project.

Thanks,
    aphseeker

You can handle this with vlc's vlm features and a few networked pcs for displays. It will take some time to read the manual on your part, but the cost is nil.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

vlc and vlm

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    You can handle this with vlc's vlm features and a few networked pcs for displays. It will take some time to read the manual on your part, but the cost is nil.
    Can you clarify on what's vlc and vlm?

Thanks,
    aphseeker

scala

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    I used to use a product from www.scala.com for a similar application. I don't know if they have anything that fits your needs completely but they would be worth a look. Scala is an old company with a good reputation.

Dave - Thanks. I've been looking into scala already.

Thanks,
    aphseeker

VLC is a free (and excellent) media player, sort of like windows media player.

VLM's (VideoLAN Manager) one of the feature of VLC, supports multiple streaming.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

I know of something

I have just what it sounds like you need. It is called My Scheduler from Media Pig. It is located at mediapigsuite.com where you can also read before hand about how it works.