Thread: Dead Pixels

Dead Pixels

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, I hope to be here a long time :-)

I just picked up a Nikon D80 and the first thing that I normally do with my video cameras (I am a producer/director) is check for dead pixels. Well I checked the D80 and found 4 of them. I hate that :-(

4 isn't that much, but I wanted your opinion.

How many do you have to have before you should return the camera?

What is your experience?

Should I be bumbed and return it, or live with it?

I fear that if I return the camera, I might get one back with 8 dead pixels :-)

Thanks Guys !!

AM

Blog Entries
    Hey AM,
    If you just bought it, check with a Nikon sales rep as to what their policy is for dead pixels. Then check the store's policy. If they exchange it for 4 they'll surely exchange it for 8.

However, if they are on the sides, top or bottom, there's always the possibility they may not make the exchange - then just return it
    if you (still can and/or) can't live with it.

This is just one man's opinion, I'm sure someone else may say something else.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hey SC,

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion.

Your right about the 8

I just don't want to be without the camera seeing that I just got it. I submitted a ticket with Nikon when I registered, I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks again!!

AM

Unfortunately (or otherwise), this man's opinion's the same as SC358's. Apologies I did not create more controversies or juicy new comments, but rejoice you have more people who seem to be saying the same thing...

So, what's the verdict from Nikon?
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi,

Nikon wants me to send them pictures of the "malfunctioning" pixels. I'm working on a huge deal, which has taken most of my waking hours, so I hope to do that today or this weekend.

Thanks

Quote: marotti
    View Post
    Hi,

Nikon wants me to send them pictures of the "malfunctioning" pixels. I'm working on a huge deal, which has taken most of my waking hours, so I hope to do that today or this weekend.

Thanks
    Why not allways be on the safe side, if you ask me i wouldn't accept a single dead pixel, it being cameras, or computer monitors.

I figured out this system which should work. If its important to you, allways agree with the shop, that you can get your hardware replaced, in case of dead pixels in advance; this agreement might be easier to get in place if you are a known customor in the shop.

You can even create a ducument with the signature, or get them to write this agreement on the back of the receipt, it should be considered a "legal" binding document in any case.

Another system which worked for me the first time, was to simply tell the shop, that the hardware didn't live up to my expectations, without refaring to dead pixels in anyway, and still by telling the truth. They didn't ask futher, and if they did i wouldn't have to answer directly.

Ofcause theres no point going trough the truble, if dead pixels dosn't bother you. But personally i hate to see this dead pixels all over my screen.
    Last edited by BlueBoden; 27th May 2008 at 04:41.