Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Formats - amd Size

Hello All :-)

I am into film and video for a living, but many moons ago I was a photographer using film. I just purchased a digital SLR and had some questions regarding the file sizes and formats.

I'm not worried about file size, but I am concerned with picture utility. At my largest size setting my photos are 3872X2592 pixels, medium = 2896X1944, and small = 1936X1296.

I use stills for insertion into video, which is 720X480 (SD), printing DVD covers, which are relatively small, and occasionally I'll do posters, which would benefit from a large picture size, but I do a lot of web work and that requires tiny pictures compared to all of the rest.

My problem is this; If I shoot at the largest size, I'll have to reduce the size for the majority of my work, and that will destroy the quality, even the small size needs to be educed substantially to get it down to a size that I can use in video.

I am totally new to digital photography, so what do you guys think about all of this?

Thanks in advance!!

AM

Digital imaging is a nice source if your final product is digital or any stage of your production process that includes the image is digital. It is a bad idea if your project is analog (for example, if you will be making simple prints, will be sending to press with traditionally marked printouts for cropping, lithography, etc).
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Blog Entries
    Quote: marotti
    View Post
    My problem is this; If I shoot at the largest size, I'll have to reduce the size for the majority of my work, and that will destroy the quality,
    Hello AM,
    Imho, you will not destroy any quality from hi-rez to lo-rez. It is when you shoot in lo-rez and then decide to blow it up, is where you will lose quality you desire.

Only you can weigh the amount of work to be performed, the amount of time to be spent vs. the possibility of needing that one shot for hi-rez. In this particular situation of yours, there is no right or wrong it is more like being prepared for any alternatives that was unforeseen.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hey thanks guys,

My concern is that when you reduce a 10 MP file down to say 320X240 for the web, it will be heavily distorted.

I may be wrong, my experience is in the post production world where if you bring in a photo and it is resized, the quality is horrid.

Maybe I'll have to do some experimentation to get over those experiences :-)

AM

Blog Entries
    Ok... hold on just a moment. This can be a bit tricky.

From hi-rez to lo-rez, due to the amount of compression and loss of information, in that sense, you do mess up the picture - I apologize. My thinking was loss of detail in a small size pix not loss of detail due to compression.

So lo-rez pixs will save you the time but you won't be able to go any further than what you have. If that's all you need - then I think your set!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi marotti, correct me if I am wrong, but distortion as I 'hear' from you seems to be the ratio, and yes re-sizing. The key to that is not really how many mega-pixels. In our technology today, even photos from a cell phone are considered BIG for normal online viewing! Unless you want to put a 5mb picture online...

You'll have to find and maintain the ratio aspect (which can be found on most NLE, save windows movie maker). As for making a still, you might have to crop in order to have eg 320x240 because that is not a still photograph ratio.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Thanks Guys!

I am letting my D80 save both RAW and the smallest size (fine resolution) files so that I have RAW for full res and size and then the smaller sized JPG so that I don't have to reduce the size as much.

I would not reduce the size of the photo and change the aspect ratio, I would crop to achieve the final size that I want.

But reducing even the D80's smallest size photo of 1936x1296 is a lot of compressing even to get down to the 720x480 of Standard Definition Video, no less web compliant sizes.

And not only do you have to reduce the size in pixels for the web, you have to keep the file size down to around 40Kb... WOW.

I still can't get my head around this

Your continued feedback is appreciated!

so did they help you or confuse you? i remember when i was learning photography and what not....wow a lot was verry confusing
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Hello

Not confused, just unfamiliar with the work flow. When I was a still photographer I used film, and format had a different meaning than what is used in the digital domain. I am a film maker, so I understand digital formats as they pertain to that industry. I purchased my first Digital SLR and am trying to figure out where these new formats fit into my work flow, and how to use them for applications other than printing, which I rarely do.

Wait a minute... now I am confused

Quote: kawsakimx6
    View Post
    so did they help you or confuse you? i remember when i was learning photography and what not....wow a lot was verry confusing

Haha... that was a good one.

New equipment, formats change frequently, and especially now where new technology breaks into the market every other month... this makes integration of new to existing work flows tough. What to keep, what to forget...

Well, from the way you share, I believe these are and will be fun challenges for you...

So, have lots of fun!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast