Blog Entries

MC Altair Setup Tool

Today I've uploaded a beta version of the new setup tool for MC Altair. I've only just got it working and I haven't ironed out all the wrinkles yet. I also haven't even started the help files so it may not be immediately obvious how it works. I just wanted to give you guys a heads-up and let you have a look. Any feedback and suggestions will be gratefully received.

You have to try and imagine how it will look once it's all tidied up and has a nice step-by-step guide for noobs plus context-sensitive help as you work. I have managed to add tooltips to most buttons so that's something.

The player itself doesn't contain any significant new features. My concern has been to make the player and setup tool work together rather than adding new features.

In the future I'd really like the setup tool to evolve alongside the player. I see it as becoming not just a wizard-like tool for getting up and running, but a complete media management system. That's a long way in the future but maybe this is a good start? What do you think?

MC Altair Setup Tool
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave
    Most hearty congratulations!! Great job!! and a lot more versatile too!!!
    This might be a silly question but I'm assuming that the Altair still uses the same format playlist???? and standard html code when used on our own servers??

Keep up the good work..most of the js file parameters seem to be commonsense anyway due to your intelligent naming of the variables

Chris

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chris. MC Altair doesn't actually support any type of playlist yet, but when it eventually does, it will indeed support the same format as the old version. Perhaps a couple of new formats as well, but it will definitely be backwards-compatible.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave
    Many thanks!! Your development is, yes, logical and will benefit users I think most will use the wizard style simplicity of the setup tool so it's great if it keeps up with the player development.
    I didn't read the specs on Altair !!! I figured that the multi-video play would be included..however it's still a useful and pretty smart looking player for single clips!!!! and an awesome user interface now!!!

Enjoy your day

Chris

setup tool

It is nice Dave. Thank you for the new tool for Altair.

Please add the non-js option also later. I prefer the non-js embed as the an embedded non-js player is visible in a RSS feed and one can play the video even in RSS feed readers.

I hope you will also work on the MCMP again some time soon.

Question How can I run off my own server

How can I run Altair off of my own server? I cant seem to find the files needed as in MC Media Player.

Thanks much and GREAT job on the players!!!

Nevermind- I just figured out---it was so obvious too

Blog Entries
    I'll try and make it more obvious as we move along with the project. One of the next priorities is going to be trying to organize the website and documentation better.

One thing I really want to do is have a nice step-by-step walk-though for the whole process. It will be interactive so at each step you choose an option, for example, "Run from my server" or "Run from mcmediaplayer.com". Context-sensitive help is also important so I'll include that as much as possible.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Wink Setup Tool

Just finished uploading a player using the Setup tool....I don't have great HTML skills and the setup tool worked for me. I am so pleased with myself and want to thank you for the great setup tool. THANKS DAVE