College for Electronic Media

I heard someone talking about how they went to college for Electronic Media and they said it had to do stuff with like radio and TV.. so i googled Electronic Media and found this site.

I was wondering if I went to college for Electronic Media, what kind of stuff is it actually? I know nothing about it but it sounded interesting what the people were talking about

Blog Entries
    Well for starters - which country would you be studying from to make it applicable?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    My local university and Polytech both offer electronic media courses which cover things like:

Computer art & graphic design
    Video production, editing, etc
    Web design
    Audio production, studio recording, etc

Your best bet may be to find a university that offers a similar course and ask for a course outline.

Be careful about independent institutions. A lot of them are not very good so you might like to talk to some ex-students and see what they think.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

My degree is officially "electronic media" I am not 100% sure it is even a degree anymore, i think they are a bit more specialized that. however if you are in the US and are on the east coast, i would look at Western Carolina University. www.wcu.edu that is where i went, and loved it, and helped me get to where i am now in only 7 years....
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Never heard of a "Electronic Media" degree, but I suppose that's what the school here is trying to start... If you give a link to a school's curriculum, we may be able to offer insight.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

College for Electronic Media

I went to Full Sail, and it was a good experience. I got a lot of advice from my instructors. There is nothing wrong to go to a regular 4 year university and it might be cheaper than an institute. I know it is a whole lot cheaper than Full Sail. But the thing is that you get the experience that you want for the career. I studied recording arts and I got all the training that I desired. It really prepared me to face the real world and also to not fear any of the equipment that I come across. If I could take anything back though, I definately would go to a college because I would have saved a whole lot of money. Other than that, I have no regrets. Audio such a wole new world!

But yes, there is so much to learn in this industry that you need to know what interests you. I like everything, but I specialize in audio. Once you are in the industry, you get a lot of contacts and leads that can help you out in learning other aspects in media. So you are not just locked into on prospect, but others are there to help you.

Jorge

Quote: geo1982
    View Post
    I went to Full Sail, and it was a good experience. I got a lot of advice from my instructors. There is nothing wrong to go to a regular 4 year university and it might be cheaper than an institute. I know it is a whole lot cheaper than Full Sail. But the thing is that you get the experience that you want for the career. I studied recording arts and I got all the training that I desired. It really prepared me to face the real world and also to not fear any of the equipment that I come across. If I could take anything back though, I definately would go to a college because I would have saved a whole lot of money. Other than that, I have no regrets. Audio such a wole new world!

But yes, there is so much to learn in this industry that you need to know what interests you. I like everything, but I specialize in audio. Once you are in the industry, you get a lot of contacts and leads that can help you out in learning other aspects in media. So you are not just locked into on prospect, but others are there to help you.

Jorge
    I have hired a few people that went to Full Sail. (the one in Orlando) and they all seem to know their shit pretty well. the only thing that i would be worried about going to that school is it is not too well known outside of Florida, so getting a job may prove difficult. It is however, cheaper and less time then a traditional 4 year university.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!