A Choice of Players

I'd like to give visitors to my website a choice of watching a video in either Quicktime or Windows media Player. How do I set this up?

Blog Entries
    Assuming you already have the video encoded in both formats, the easiest way is to just make two hyperlinks - one to each file.

Code:
    <a href="video01.wmv">Click here to view WinMedia version</a>
    <a href="video01.mov">Click here to view Quicktime version</a>
    You can get more complicated if you like by embedding the video files, but I think the above example is a perfectly fine way to do it.

Our streaming media tutorial has more info:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/fo...dia/streaming/
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

The tutorials are very interesting. However, I see that for Quicktime and WMP mention is made of opening a video in 'Premiere'. What is Premier?

Blog Entries
    Adobe Premiere is a video editing software package. More info is here:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/premiere/

Can you tell us what you use to work with video files? What video files do you have? Can you edit them or convert them into different formats?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi,

I am a bit confuse with the term streaming here.

My website is hosted by someone else. Can i actually let people stream videos on my website?

As far as i know, i am allowed to host my webpages, ftp (so people can download the videos from my site).

Isn't it will take up lots of bandwidth to do that?

Any help please?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Yes, basically any site can have http streaming video.

"Bandwidth" means the amount of data being transfered at any given time. "Data transfer" means the total amount of data delivered over a period of time (usually per month). People often get these terms mixed up.

How much bandwidth/data transfer you use depends on the size of your video files and the number of people who will be viewing the video. It certainly takes a lot more bandwidth to deliver video than web pages. Most hosting packages will let you stream a reasonable amount of video to a few dozen people each day.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post - busy with the holidays. I downloaded Swish and converted the files to shockwave flash and it really works well. Thank you for your help