DVD Cam and Vista troubles

I am having problems with saving recorded video as thumbnails from my Hitachi dvd cam DZ-GX5020A to my laptop that runs windows vista. When I finalize my disc, it will play only as one long vid clip. I want to be able to use the vid clips to make videos with windows movie maker. How can I save as individual thumbnails or what product do I need to be able to do this. Thank you in advance...
    Shaun

I don't think you can do that with a DVD camcorder, you could with a MiniDV camcorder that uses Timecode. DVD camcorders are not really made for the function you are trying to achieve, they are made to go direct to disc. If you want to edit video I suggest getting a different camcorder

I agree too!!!
    DVD Camcorders are designed to film and play, not edit!! However IF you are prepared to put up with the loss of quality you can grab the VOB files from the mini DVD disk and convert then back to MPEG2 and then edit the MPEG files ...just be advised that a second render of an MPEG2 file will result is a big quality loss!!!
    Best thing if you want to edit is sell the DVD camcorder and replace it with a MiniDV tape unit

Chris

How do I convert to mpeg file. When I drag and dropped it to my desktop on my laptop from the cd rom it gives me a list of 3 vob's, 2 ifo's, and 2 bup's. I am not worried about quality right now being as I do not know what I am doing all that much anyway. I just want to make a video of my 13 month old daughter for a keepsake. I already put it up for sale on craigslist.com but I will pull it off and keep it for now if I can learn from it. Thank you in advance again.

The VOB files are already actually MPEG 2 format.
    You can use the free utility mpegstreamclip to convert the VOB files to a standard mpeg2 format.
    FYI, Premiere Elements can import VOB files and rip non-commercial DVDs.

What is a utility mpegstreamclip and where do I get it from? I looked up Premier Elements and is it $100? Did I see the right one?

Hi Guys

This is easier and works well too. If the DVD Cam has created more than one VOB file in the Video_TS folder on the disk the software finds them all and creates mpeg files for you. Quick and easy and free !!

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Chris

For sony cams, you'll need to record on a mode called VR in order to edit a DVD-RW. For Hitachi, what I know so far is clips can be edited before finalizing, otherwise it'll be going to what the rest are suggesting. Recode or digitize onto another medium again before getting it back to a lappy. Otherwise digitize as if you are using a VCR on VHS tapes (if possible). Minimal loss of quality and (perhaps) time are important for whatever your considerations and decision.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

honestly, for anyone reading this that is thinking about getting a DVD cam, I would stay away from them
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!