Thread: Photoshop

Photoshop

I am working on a flyer using Illustrator and Photoshop 7.0; both of which I am learning to use as I go. I figured out how to create a transparent background in a photo using the extract filter. When I place my image in Illustrator the background remains transparent. But when I PDF my document the background around my images become white!

My question is Why did it do that ?????

I thought that I read somewhere that I needed to save my images as GIF or PNG files in order to support the transparency. So they are all saved as GIF.

This is a project for work with a looming deadline to get it to the printer; any insight would be greatly appreciated.

for job

Dear
    I need a job.I know photoshop very well . If u have a job in your side pls call me..
    Email:deepakraaz@gmail.com
    Cell : 09390239365

You need to mask the image in illustrator, simple transparency won't do much for layout work.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

first off i would call the printer, and see what they need the file in. alot of time they are going to want an unrastered file.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

You could save the image as a PNG file, which will preserve transparency in Illustrator.

The most bulletproof way of doing it though, is to create a clipping path around your image, and save it as a Photoshop EPS.

You can create a clipping path from a selection, using the magic wand. I think this method is a little sloppy, but it works like this:

Make your selection.

Open the Paths palette, click on the flyout arrow at the top right and select Make work path.

Your selection is now a Work Path. Double click on the Work Path in the Paths palette, and give it a name.

Click on the flyout arrow of the Paths palette again, select Clipping Path ..., and select your path from the dropdown list.

Save your file as a Photoshop EPS. When you import this EPS into Illustrator (or InDesign, Quark, etc), only the parts of the image inside the Clipping Path will show, the rest will be transparent.

My preferred method of making a Clipping Path is to create a new path in the Paths palette, then draw the path with the pen tool. I find this way to be much more accurate, and the results accordingly better.