Captive screw terminal to RCA, Balanced vs Unbalanced

I have an audio/video switch with a a 5 position terminal block connector (Phoenix connector or screw terminal) with the following pinout left to right:

L R
    + - Gnd - +

which says that it can be wired for balanced or unbalanced.

I want to connect it to a prefabbed Captive screw plug to RCA female audio adapter that has the following pinout left to right:

R L
    - + gnd - +

So my question is can this adapter be plugged into the switch and if so do I have to invert the phase of say the R speaker? Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Hello aem and welcome!

I don't see any need to reverse any wiring. You only need to be consistent with the wiring scheme or color coding.

Usually, Black to (-); Red or White to (+) and the braided or foil or unsheathed wire to ground.

Just as a side note: I have caught some else's mistake where the color codes were reversed. But since they did remained consistent, in this case two wrongs did make a right...
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks for the welcome.

But, the on the left side, it would be +to-, and -t + but on the right side they would be +to+ and -to- which is fine.. I am trying to use a pre made connector and plug it in the back of the audio switch. I cannot rewire anything (in this instance unless I go with home made which is the alternative). Can I just reverse polarity like that on one channel without compensating for it somehow?

Blog Entries
    I see what you mean. This may present a problem because the braided wire used for ground on an RCA cable is now HOT and the main conductor just sits there doing nothing at all. This ground wire is used to help prevent interference. I'm afraid that you may be just creating a giant antenna that will interfere with the speaker.

My recommendation is not to take any shortcuts because you want to recycle unused resources. In the long run, use proper wiring procedures and practices. If you want to break the rules, you must know how and when to break them.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.