Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Making Blind Eyes

I'm hoping to shoot a short video in which one of the main characters is blind. For the most part, she will be wearing dark glasses - but at one point, we will see her eyes, which have a milky white iris. Does anyone know how I could possibly do this during post production?

Hi Rodwen
    Glad to hear that the video planning is going well.
    It would, of course be easier to see if it's possible to get contact lenses that are made milky but I don't know if that's possible???

In post you can simply make a transparent PNG file of the proposed eyes and then overlay it on the video. For simplicity keep your "non-sunglasses" shots short with as little movement as possible otherwise you will spend ages with motion tracking the overlay.

It's pretty easy to do in an NLE like Vegas but I would look at a compositing package like FXHome Vision Lab where you can simply draw a mask over the eyes and you have much more control over FX too.

Just check my website tutorials ...I'm not sure if I did a masking tutorial but there might be one there.

http://www.softweigh.com/video/tutorials.html

Otherwise check out the FXHome UK site and forum

Chris

Thanks for the snappy reply!

Transparent PNG sounds pretty good. I gathered that it would be hard with movement, so the shot I had in mind is of the girl lying very still on grass, and her eyes open. Then we drag a sheet of material across, and when it comes off, her eyes are normal.

I'm just going to have to try that with what I've got, because I can't afford to be buying anything or sticking anything new on my computer :P It's about to cark it (I edit off an external hard drive, which is a pain in the butt.)

Also, I don't want to start a new thread, but how would I go about finding the best way to get video looking like film?
    Last edited by Rodwen; 3rd Jan 2008 at 14:11.

Hi Rodwen

That will work fine but rather have 2 png files as overlays. As the sheet is dragged across you can then drop out the first eye so when the sheet is sorta between her eyes, the second eye is still milky and only drop it out once the eye is covered.

If the talent is still it's an easy procedure!!

Chris

Use contacts, they mack them for this purpose, and are safe
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Aren't they slightly expensive though? :P

Non-prescription colored contacts are fairly inexpensive, about $20-30 for most colors and $30-40 for 'white-out' lenses from what I understand...
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    Non-prescription colored contacts are fairly inexpensive, about $20-30 for most colors and $30-40 for 'white-out' lenses from what I understand...
    that is about it. And well worth it. They are WAY better then anything i can make in post
    Manoni Productions

Is that American $$ though? :P
    I still go to school! To me, that's expensive.
    But less-so than I imagined.

with out trying to sound like an ass hole.....if you cant spend 30-40 dollars, the movie is not going to go well!
    Manoni Productions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast