Cancelling Audio Signals in Mixing Wire Configurations

My question is pretty simple. I don't understand this quote from http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/ba...tegration.html :

"Mixing Wiring Configurations
    Using cables or equipment with different wiring configurations in the same system is a recipe for trouble. You may well find that audio signals start canceling each other out and leave you with nothing.

Many sound mixers have a "phase invert" switch on each channel. This swaps the phasing of the hot and cold pins to solve the mismatch problem.

Obviously the best plan is to keep your wiring consistent. Use the configuration above and you shouldn't experience too many problems."

First of all, what does it mean by "in the same system," and how exactly do wiring configurations cancel each other?

Thanks for any light someone can shine on my dark ignorance. (that seems rather harsh, doesn't it?)

-Allan

Cancelling Audio Signals in Mixing Wire Configurations

Allan,

The answer to your first question is:

The most common configuration is that pin 1 is your ground, pin 2 is your hot, and pin 3 is your cold. So if you use the common configuration pin 1 ground, pin 2 hot, pin 3 cold, with a mixed up audio wire configuration, you will get no signal and have trouble with a intermittent system. So if pin 2 is your signal and you cross it to pin 3, that will cancel its signal out and cause a intermittent outcome.

The answer to your second question is:

Audio can begin to cancel out by either microphone placement which is why we use the "phase invert" switch. (microphones phasing each other) Also allows you to fix the mismatch wire configuration. (balanced lines and microphones) The best thing is to keep the configuration consistent. When soldering, make sure you solder the female and male end on the same pins. Ground pin 1, red to red pin 2, black to black pin 3. Wires could be different colors, but if you solder the both ends of the cable to the same pins, you will have the consistent signal flow.
    Last edited by geo1982; 16th Feb 2008 at 05:07. Reason: Correct my statements