Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

recommend a comcorder.....

My dad is going to buy a camcorder, and I am wondering if it matters what file type he should look for, so I can put in on the internet (my site for example.) Is any one camcorder better than others for that kind of stuff?

thanx

If you will be wanting to edit the video then its best to get one that uses a dv tape.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

westie is right, there are a lot of questions that you want to ask your self. If you are using it for short clips on YouTube, then it really does not matter.

Questions to ask your self include but not limited to:

1. What is the budget (how much are you willing to spend)
    2. what quality are you expecting.
    3. What are the vids going to be used for (sales tools, fun, presentations ect...)
    4. what is your personal experience with cameras in general (you do not want to get one that will be over your skill level (or learning willingness)
    5. do you need HD or SD (high definition or standard)
    6. how long are the pieces going to be? (how long is the average video?)

i would suggest answering these (well your dad) and then going from there
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

thannx for the advice.

Do you know anything about those camcorders that recored directly to DVD? We want to be able to recored a family movie, and maybe skip a step and just pop the dvd in the player when were done. But if that compromises anything else, that would not be good.

those are mostly only consumer product quality. Sony really amps these cameras up, however my personal opinion is that these cameras are not of the best quality. with that said, if you are looking to not edit and just film some outings and then go straight to the tv screen this is an option that may be cheaper in the long run. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. If i do not know them, or can't find them, i will find someone who can answer them for you.
    Manoni Productions

Hi... there's just 2 pointers with these DVD camcorders you might want to take note of. To qualify, I tried them out from a couple of friends who have kindly loaned them to me. (Sony and Canon)

1. Most of them record in a way that needs proprietry playback (ie, the same brand of camcorder, the same brand of player/camcorder to playback). So that doesn't sound too friendly. Maybe the newer models have this solved, that I am not sure. And yes, the videos are indeed compressed in recording, then again, it is not that bad.

2. The cost of the recording medium (DVDs) are not that cheap. So I am not that sure about savings in the long run...

Last note: Brands like JVC & Sony (I believe the other brands will catch on too) have come up with HDD (Hard Disk Drive) recorders. IMO, these are better alternatives. More of that if you're interested.

Have fun hunting. I'm about to complete my hunt soon...
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Nager is right about the HDD drive cameras. however they are QUITE pricey. I currently have 2 JVCs that have this capability, they are 12k each, plus the HDD unit
    Manoni Productions

Personally I am partial to MiniDV because it is fairly cheap good quality and will play in most studio DVC pro decks.

Quote: Reeman93
    View Post
    Personally I am partial to MiniDV because it is fairly cheap good quality and will play in most studio DVC pro decks.
    I also use Mini DV......however not all of them are fairly cheap....you can find them for cheap though depending on what quality and features you are looking for
    Manoni Productions

Quote: Uber_noob
    View Post
    My dad is going to buy a camcorder, and I am wondering if it matters what file type he should look for, so I can put in on the internet (my site for example.) Is any one camcorder better than others for that kind of stuff?

thanx
    Oh the HDD camcorders I have in mind are for consumers in this case. They're definitely more economical.

The affordable ones from Sony
    http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ionPath=n32080

The affordable ones from JVC
    http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio_g/lineup.html

You might want to note affordability comes with a price too. A smaller CCD/CMOS sensor (the chip capturing all your video) being the most obvious. The other, since it contains a HDD, could mean that the camera's more fragile... Then again, who wants to knock or drop their cameras when they can help it?

However I rec'd these because the quality (as advertised, sorry I am not sure about their actual performance) are good enough for your usage. You can actually downsize ur videos for web (as you have mentioned as one of your purpose) whilst recording to lessen the hassle (if it is a hassle, and which I do not rec'd) and since it's a HDD, transfer is non-linear (you don't have to wait an hr to transfer a one hr video onto your computer, since it's data you're transferring), not only in edit... and I'm sure Kaw's gonna agree with me... it's 'On the fly' in its truest sense!

Lastly (apologies for my longwindedness), do your homework... don't just buy a 'look good'. Make sure it performs to what you really want before putting those hard-earned dollars on the counter!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast