Fiming Live Giggs

Hi Im looking for some advice i want a microphone or set of microphones for recording live gigs (bands ie singer guitar and drums), My current setup is 1 minidisc recorder linked to the mix desk and the mike from my camera (canon xm1) this set up is ok but I want a stand alone microphone/set that i can place in front of the stage to be connected to my cameras mike socket or second mini disc player. Can you suggest a microphone or pair of microphones that would suit the job. I was looking at a matched pair of Condenser Mics and a phantom power unit. I would also like these mikes to double up as the mics I can use for the short films I make as well or would a shotgun mike be better for this, any help appreciated

whats your budget and what is the i/o capabilty of the camera in question?

hi, my buget is around 100 have seen a matched set of BEHRINGER C2 STEREOSET microphones for 50 but im not even sure if its condenser microphones i need as i have seen it mentioned that these are good for accoustic sessions and i mainly film bands

Behringer C2 small diaphragm condenser microphones - matched pair, transformerless FET output, switchable LF roll-off and -10dB input attenuation, 48V phantom power required. Includes mic stand adapters, wind shields, stereo bar and case.

my camera I/O capabiltys are

Output Interfaces Audio (RCA), Composite (Video), FireWire / DV / i.Link, Headphones Jack, S-Video
    Input Interfaces Audio (RCA), Composite (Video), FireWire / DV / iLink, S-Video

well the behringers are definately in your budget, however as you prob know they are going to need fantom power so you will either need a bat powered fantom power unit oe a small mixer with fantom. they would probably do a decent job and there arent many other choices within that budget, and yes condenser mics would be the way to go. Most camera's do not pass a lot of low end maybe down to like 50hz so these mics would prob be usable enough.

thanks for the help, found a phantom power unit for 30 the mics are 20hz to 20khz, would it be better to run the mikes to my camera mike input or to a recordable mini disc player

as long as you have the ability to sync them up after you would prob be better served to use the minidisc as it has a better converter usually. and u coud always let the camera pick up on its own as well as a backup.

If possible, use a second camera hooked up to the sound mixer for the audio. We did this at school for our audio because it was simple and easy to convert for editing. Just make sure you test out all the gear before hand. make sure you don't get a the odd hum or buzz because of the gear not liking each other.