Audio Mixer Subgroups

I would like to know if mixers with subgroup capability will allow any and all inputs to be routed to any and all available subgroups. For example, if I want to route channels 1 and 3 to subgroup 1 and channels 1 and 4 to subgroup 2 and channel 2 and 4 to subgroup 3, can I do that? It is not clear from the descriptions I read. Thanks.

Quote: Rogeraa
    View Post
    I would like to know if mixers with subgroup capability will allow any and all inputs to be routed to any and all available subgroups. For example, if I want to route channels 1 and 3 to subgroup 1 and channels 1 and 4 to subgroup 2 and channel 2 and 4 to subgroup 3, can I do that? It is not clear from the descriptions I read. Thanks.
    It depends. What kind of mixer do you have?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

Blog Entries
    Hello Rogeraa and welcome,

It can be done depending on the mixer you work with. Limitations and budget is the name of the game, so always buy the best you could afford.

Best Regards!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

as the others had said it depends on the mixer you have. guessing on the confusion you have though it seems as though your mixer maybe has 4 subgroups and an assignment button grouping 1+2 and 3+4 on each channel giving you apparently only two options? in a case like that you would pan any channel going to buss 1 to the left, any channel going to buss 2 to the right then push the 1+2 button on both, then on the buss section assign the bus to l+R so you get no panning in the mains, hope that helps,

on most [not all] mixers that have subgroups, 1+2 are assigned jointly with 1 being the left side of the pan from the channel, 2 being the right side, 3+4 the same way [3 left, 4 right], so you could assign an input to 1+2 and 3+4 and hard pan it left so it comes out on 1 and 3, then if you want, you can assign 1 to the left and 3 to the right... and other similar such things.

Basically "L/R" on the pan pots really mean L/R only for main, they mean 1 / 2 for 1+2 and 3 / 4 for 3+4.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler