Blog Entries

Off topic - New scientific creation

This was from last week's Washington Post. I'm not too sure if this would affect our field but I thought this would be something to tickle the gray matter a bit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021902617.html

Enjoy!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    This is fascinating stuff. I remember when I first heard about possible "cloaking technology" I couldn't believe they were serious. Now it's looking like a simple version could be made within our lifetime.

As for whether the super-black material could be used in our field, I'm sure there's a place for it somewhere. I like what they said about using it in telescopes - you can see how the same thing could apply to top-end cameras and lenses.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    I wasn't too sure if it would change the way cameras are chipped or a replacement for Green Screen. With this known, I'd give this another 3 years to reach the shores of film and video useage.

Any visionaries here that can make a comment?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

New green screen

I a screen actually reflected NO light at all then instead of chroma keying green we could do a very limited luma key and take out just SUPERBLACK, if the cameras could pick up a distinction beween that level of black by the time that is mass-produced i don't know.

The cloaking would make the ultimate boom mic, you could get it as close as wanted, and would make special effects really easy.

Actually, doing similar isn't quite out of the questions. Most studio and ENG/EFP cameras can push out whites up to 120 - 140 IRE and you can luma key out white, we did this in my high school by over-lighting a background piece of paper and properly lighting the foreground.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Johnson Nguyen
    Even though this is a great article and it makes so much sense scientifically, I find it really hard to believe that this is happening. I guess you could say I"m more of those "seeing is believing people" but egh. I don't know. If they had actual video footage of it and not some film hollywood movie thing I'd be interested.

The video footage would look the same because your computer monitor does not have that black of a black, for computers black is black and that's as black as it gets.

Blog Entries
    You're right Reeman93 . There are no displays (currently) to electronically replicate that. I wish I had the vision (imagination) to put something like that to use in our industry.

Maybe we can put it in Chris Harding's lap and see what he can come with!
    SC358