Teaching is Learning

Fix camera, buy Mini-DV or wait for HDD?

One would say it's the million dollar question...

Three years ago I bought a Samsung mini-DV. Lately the picture has turned all fuzzy (except in Night mode when it's crystal sharp). A visit to the local Samsung shop said it's the filter whilst the guy at the service & repair said it's the lens. Their indecision puts me in doubt...

Being beyond its guarantee I looked towards buying a new camera, and was looking at the newer generations: DVD and HDD. HDD still being pricey, we looked at the DVD. Now, up till now I've used it for home movies of my family, but every year I edit them into one big video for all the family. I was doing some reading and on your site I found the strong opinion that DVD cameras are not good for editing - as they lose the quality since they are recorded in MPEG-2 format. I did some further research and all came to this conclusion.

So then I struck DVD cameras off my list and was left with two options: Mini-DV and HDD. I looked up the HDD cameras, esp the JVC Everio and Sony counterparts and noticed their recording formats: MPEG-2 as well. Thus, the editing problem is still there!?!?! See http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofi...hp/t10185.html for Everio and http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...iew/Format.htm for Sony. In the latter the review boasts about Sony using .MPG extension instead of .MOD. Ha Ha Ha.

On the other hand I read that miniDV tapes are being phased out (can anyone confirm?). Will that mean the end of editing pleasure?

Should I buy another miniDV even if it will be phased out? Or should I try to fix my Samsung hoping improvements in the technology will provide the next editing-friendly camcorder? (Are there any rumors of that happening at all??)

Thanks all

Hi Barbara
    We are all faced with the dilemma of our "throw-away" society!! Seriously, if the repair bill is going to be higher than the current used camera price (check your model and see what it's getting on eBay) then grimace and throw it away or sell it on eBay as a faulty unit.

You are unfortunately 100% correct..domestic camcorders are being developed now for the "no-editing route" and most people want to shoot and watch!! Only the higher end cameras have started serious "no tape" units (Panasonic use a P2 card to record onto) and they are expensive!!
    For now you need to stick with MiniDV if you are in the "prosumer" range.

You would probably benefit by buying a "prosumer" camcorder to replace the Samsung as they are a bit tougher and the quality a lot better. Look at used Panasonic DVX100/DVC80 or Sony PD150/170 or Canon XL1/2 and you will get a quality camera with professional quality. If you can't stretch the budget that far then grab an older domestic on eBay (Pannny GS or Sony TRV series work well) I had a Samsung Hi8 and had problems with it all the time...rather stick with the "big three"

Chris

Teaching is Learning
    Thanks for the reply Chris

I've spent some more time looking around and discovered that there actually is the next generation of miniDV: the HD cameras.

However they are still pricey for us prosumers

Not big enough market to find used camcorders here in Malta, so I guess I'll go for the GS new - at elast I get 2 more years guarantee until the HD come closer to my pocket.

Thanks again.
    Jonathan Barbara

personally i would wait till you can afford the one that you want?
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Teaching is Learning
    Quote: kawsakimx6
    View Post
    personally i would wait till you can afford the one that you want?
    In hindsight, the HD will offer me a 1980x1080 resolution - which I don't really need as my target resolution is 1366x768 (my 36" Sony Bravia)...

So I'll happily buy the miniDV - the cheapest of them all (between miniDV, DVD, and HDD)

Might want to take a look at the Canon HV20, a great HDV MiniDV camera that will also shoot in SD with true widescreen. A great camera for the price
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Hi Johnathan
    Good advice as I have a friend who has 2 HV20's so he must love them. If you are sticking with Panasonic and are doing live audio then it's critical that you get a GS400 or GS500 and not the lower models as they don't have manual audio settings!!! GS300's are cheap but you cannot turn off the AGC!!!!!

Chris

Hmmmm save up for a camera..that's what I'm doing at the moment!! I need something like a DSR-250/300 for doing weddings and the shoulder mount and DVCAM facilities are ideal. BUT it costs $6000 here!!! and what to use in the meantime????
    With eBay I find that it's better to still save, scrape and borrow for your idea camera but in the meantime grab something off eBay to keep you going...maybe I'm lucky but every camera I have bought on eBay so far I have managed to resell on eBay for a PROFIT!!!
    It's better to have something to use (and possibly make a few dollars with) while you are putting money aside than sitting without anything waiting for the pile of money to grow big enough!!

Chris

Johnson Nguyen
    Wow that's really good advice. I didn't know you could sell your goods as faulty items on ebay or I'd just look into your local craigslist. I'd just buy a new one all together. it sounds like it'd give you much more happiness in the long run.