Thread: Career Change?

Career Change?

I have recently been investigating a career change and stumbled upon the adobe flash environment, it seems an excellent tool for developing web based productions.... my question is, is there a demand for this and is there hope for an ex mechanic with limited IT skills!!

I don't think knowing flash alone will get anyone far, unless they are really good at it.

I've only done some limited stuff in flash, using actionscript. Mainly stuff like, Preloaders, smaller animations, streaming. And didn't find it hard, actionscript is well referenced, and as such easy to learn.

Quote: kmedri
    View Post
    I have recently been investigating a career change and stumbled upon the adobe flash environment, it seems an excellent tool for developing web based productions....
    That depends entirely on what you mean by "web based productions".
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

I know that if you are really, really, really good in AS3 (actionscript 3.0) then there are some high paying careers out there for you, but if you are just beginning then you have a ways to go. I have been developing code in AS3 for 3 years now and I am still not good enough for the big dogs out there. I am more of a PHP programmer anyway.

Blog Entries
    Yes there are definitely opportunities for good Flash/Actionscript/Flex developers. As others have already said, the problem is the learning curve. You'll need to understand AS3 very well. It's certainly doable, just not quickly or easily.

If you like, once you get started you could post links to your work here - we'll give you an honest opinion
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

knowing flash

I think knowing flash is always good. What do you mean by web productions? Are you thinking of designing websites?