Photoshop. Never had transparent background

Hello,
    I started with Photoshop4. Now I have Photoshop6. I have never, ever been able to produce\convert any graphic, my own or existing, with any extension, with\to a transparent background either for WEb or Print, ever.
    I have followed umpteen instructions, internet and Photoshop's own. Nothing. Photoshop 6 comes with its own conversion routine on the Help menu! It doesn't work. I have had the checkered patches, but no matter where I used it, I always got the white, square background.
    For a book and the Web, a graphic I produced myself in Freehand7 failed. To overcome that I spent days trying to match Photoshop's background colour to that of Freehand - choosing colour via numbers in CMYK or RGB does not produce the same colour. It took ages, but I did succeed that way.
    I've just tried following more instructions. Stuff about using the wand. Stuff about choosing File\New, selecting transparent. Nada. Stuff about selecting and hitting Del. Nada. Stuff about File\New copying and pasting automatically opening a New Layer. It doesn't. Stuff about moving layers up and down. They don't move, they just flick back to their original position. Nothing works.
    Does anybody out there actually know how to produce\convert to a transparent background. It is driving me up the wall, spoiling any enjoyment I once got from all this, and wasting hours, days, weeks, and months of my time.
    Surely there must be someone who knows, and surely there must be a program out there that can actually achieve this mythical phenomenon.
    Is there a special chant or prayer that I'm supposed to recite while clicking; beads I'm supposed to count and rattle; dance I must do prior to conversion.
    Never in over ten years. Not on one single occasion. Never.

honestly, it has been a LONG time since i have used 6 and i am not sure if i ever used 4, I know for a fact that 6 will do it however, because that i what i used at my last TV station.

the first thing, when selecting a background, you are hitting "transparent" and not white, right?
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Hi
    I feel the same as Jayscore spent hours try to achive transparency's in PS 7
    Following Media college "How to create a Transparent Background
    New> Mode RGB> Transparent.. results in a Gray background and I cannot change it to transparent.
    Easy but How?

Frustration, frustration

Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity, could you guys download the transparent psd image I've attached below? I'm not sure if you'll be able to open it with an older version of PS but if you can, does it come out transparent?

Another option would be to upload one of your images that should be transparent and I'll have a look at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

dave has a point. Upload something, and lets have a look at it. Also what are you saving it as? Not a JPEG right?
    Manoni Productions

I have just started using Photoshop CS. I made the mistake of saving the image as a Jpeg file. It doesn't work. I found the transparent background image works if you save the file as a Gif image.

Blog Entries
    ... as well as others such as psd and png.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

.tiff
    Manoni Productions

Targa (.tga) supports alpha (in 32bpp mode) as well.

(opens fine and transparent in the GIMP here)
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler