Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Help For Setting Up A Post Production Studio

Thanks Everybody in advance.
    I am residing in India. And I want to set up a PC based non-linear post-production studio to produce home videos for other people having Standard Definition (Entry Level to Pro-sumer) Camcorder. They basically shoot marriage, travel, birthday etc. types of video.
    I have good PCs (1 laptop & 1 desktop), both well equipped for editing, as well as have a good editing software & also have training to edit videos with various good editing softwares like Premier Pro, Media Studio Pro, Avid etc. But unfortunately don't have any other equipment for commercial production.
    Please suggest me what other equipments I do need. The types of media format I would have to handle mainly----- Minidv, Hi8, Dvd, Hdd etc.
    My Budget is only $800- $1000.
    Last edited by pushan.ch1975; 9th Mar 2008 at 17:58.

As long as you have Firewire on your machines you can handle most digital video formats. For analogue (Like Hi8 etc etc) you are going to need an Analogue to DV Bridge. Datavideo make the DAC200 unit and also Canopus and a few others. You can also find yourself an older spare camcorder then does have SVideo and Composite inputs and then use that as a convertor too. (Most of the Panasonic DS series have built-in convertors)

Unless you are going to attempt film (8mm/16mm) transfers too, that's about all you need

Chris

honestly,

i would stay away from Hi8 as well as DVDcams. it is up to you. a good place to compare cameras would be B&H at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Sorry. I have forgot to mention that I have one Sony Dvd camcorder(DCR 608E), one Sony Minidv Camcorder(HC38E), one old Sony D8 camcorder(TRV285E) & a Pinnacle TV Tuner Card, which has s-video and composite input. There is Fire-Wire as well.
    So please do let me know whether I shall be able to transfer all of the videos (Standard Definition), shoot in other camcorders, for editing, with my camcorders and tv tuner card, mentioned above. Will there be any quality loss in that process? Or do I need any VTR?

One thing I should have to mention that "I WILL DO THE EDITING AND OTHER FINISHING TOUCHES IN MY STUDIO, WITH THE VIDEOS SHOT BY OTHER PEOPLE BY THERE OWN CAMCORDER".
    Last edited by pushan.ch1975; 10th Mar 2008 at 15:01.

Hi

You get a comprehensive loss of quality with analogue to digital so shoot everything on the MiniDV camera. I would personally sell the DVD Camcorder and Hi8 units and buy yourself a used MiniDV again.

Editing footage from DVD Cammys ends up with very poor quality..they are not meant to be edited.

Chris

One thing I should have to mention that "I WILL DO THE EDITING AND OTHER FINISHING TOUCHES IN MY STUDIO, WITH THE VIDEOS SHOT BY OTHER PEOPLE BY THERE OWN CAMCORDER".
    That is a very 'dangerous' statement back there.. let me explain why it is so. If other people shoot and have terrible shots, and are expecting you to make magic with the finished products, then your reputation is at stake.

Also as have been adviced (and I concur with the Chris and Kaw) to steer clear from formats other than DV (basically any camera that has DV/firewire out), not everyone shoots with a DV camera. That will make your work a lot more difficult. Do consider what disclaimers you would make to your clients first before taking projects.

These are not technical advice, but I think they are worth as much. Please post if there's anything else you might want to clarify.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Johnson Nguyen
    Thanks for the website in comparison. I think Nagar is right though. He does bring up a personal perspective. I wouldn't want me work being reflected on the other's performances.

Converting old formats

Hello in India!

Welcome to my headaches of working with high school students with hand me down video cameras. The best solution that I can suggest on your budget is to hookup an old camera to a miniDv camera that can record via the older red, white yellow RCA inputs (I use a Panasonic DVC-80). Then play out of the old camera (or even a VCR) into the miniDV camera. The quality will NOT improve . But then you can capture to your NLE via firewire and produce a digital compatible product.

An alternate solution is to buy either a TV tuner card that has the older RCA inputs (such as that made by Hauppauge) to put in your PC or Sony's VRD-MC5 DVD recorder. Both of these allow you to transform an analogue signal to a digital signal. The tuner card will record to a hard drive directly whereas the Sony product records to a DVD. The tuner cards sell from Newegg for about $100 US. The Sony product for about $200 US. Both of these products produce files that CANNOT be edited directly in any NLE. However, AVS Video Software sells a product for about $40 US that will convert the files into almost any format that you could need and these converted files will be edited by Premier Pro. I know that both of these work as my students use them all the time to switch old analogue video footage to digital footage to edit in Premier Pro and eventually burn the finished work to DVD. Initially they are disappointed with the quality as compared to new footage recorded with miniDV but most are happy to be able to watch old memories once again. For paying customers, I would have examples to watch that show the quality stays the same and does NOT improve.

Hi Guys

From personal experience I KNOW that the customer is almost always NOT happy with the result. They DO expect miracles from footage from an old battered VHS tape shot 10 years ago and expect it to look like broadcast TV!!!
    You will have far less headaches and nightmares if you only shoot your own footage. If there is a market for dubbing tapes then let someone else do it... send your customer forward and after they have been disappointed by the other guy your reputation is still good!!

Chris

I think the best example i have of this is a woman who brought in a PAL VHS of a wedding to be converted to NTSC and put onto a DVD. Came back in about a week later, insisting that we cut out some particular person, ended up pulling out a professional monitor that would show the PAL directly and letting her sit there and watch the original and the copy side-by side.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast