Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

14 person vocal recording help!

Hi everyone,
    I'm the director of a 14 person classical a capella group. We've been having trouble recording using our college's two Sennheiser e845 supercardiod mikes and a Marantz Professional CD recorder CDR300. Basically, if we put the mikes far away enough to get a nicely blended sound (10ft.), the signal is so weak that it takes about 400% amplification to get it audible, which introduces noise. If the mikes are close enough to get good levels, you hear too many individual voices.
    So, I have a couple questions:
    1. Is it possible to make a good recording using this equipment?
    2. If not, what kind of mikes should my group buy (keep it in the $100 range)?
    3. If anyone is interested in helping out my group and lives near Williamstown, MA, send me an e-mail at 06jp<at>williams<dot>edu or check out our website at www.elizabethans.org

Hi there,
    You really do want to be using a different type of mic for this job. The Sennheiser e845 supercardiod mike is designed more for lead vocal use - it performs best with a high level input, like a singer screaming into it.
    I'll do some research into it and find out which model Sennheiser mic would be more suitable.
    Hopefully I'll be able to post an answer with this information in the next few hours.

BTW: I rate Sennheiser as one of the best, if not THE best manufacturer of mics in the world. I'm sure others will disagree, but Sennheiser is definately my preference.

Ok, well it seems budget restraints may be a problem for you here.
    i would have liked to recommend the Sennheiser MKH range of mics (MKH50 or 60), but they are too expensive (around $NZ 2500-3000).
    For the lower budget, the Sennheiser E664 would be an option, but these are possibly out of reach for you too (at about $NZ 500-600).
    I suspect that if you are thinking of purchasing new mics, you would have to look at a cheaper brand, which would raise the question "would a cheap brand be any better than a top quality, but wrong model Sennheiser mic?"

However, a quick search of ebay shows quite a variety of MKH mics selling for only a few hundred $US. So second hand may be a solution for you.

PS: If you need to convert currency, use our converter......
    http://www.mediacollege.com/misc/uti...converter.html

PPS: And here's a couple of links to the Sennheiser website.....
    http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...icrophones_mkh
    http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/05185

Hopes this helps a little.

Thanks for the input, although that's still out of the range we can afford, unless all of the a capella groups on campus can pool our money together. Do you have any recommendations for a $50 microphone? For mikes, do I want an omnidirectional or bidirectional for recording? Also, how far away should I put them? Do I want powered or unpowered ones?
    Also, I've been trying to register, but my registration confirmation hasn't come yet...

Blog Entries
    What username are you using to register?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I'm trying to register cookie1138 with an e-mail address of the same name at AOL. I just haven't received the confirmation e-mail yet.

Blog Entries
    I have approved your registration manually so you should be good to go now.
    Last edited by Dave; 6th Dec 2004 at 22:07.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Re: 14 person vocal recording help!

Ok, I see. Well to start with, you would probably use uni-directional mics (see http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/mi...teristics.html )
    But I guess the best solution for you is one that uses the mics you've got. You probably won't buy anything better with your budget.

A few questions.......
    Where do you do your recording? On a stage, or in a room? And how are the 14 positioned in relationship to the two mics?

You could try hanging the mics above and slightly in front of the group, then experiment with the hight of the mics.....?
    Or maybe get the group to stand in a circle and suspend the mics above them, in the centre?

We give concerts in a 14 person arc. We've done recordings with everyone in a circle or ellipse around two central mikes. With these supercardiod mikes though, do you think we could get away with facing them upwards in the middle of the circle?

I don't know if this helps, but is there a supplier willing to rent you a microphone for your purposes? We just recorded a series of Christmas concerts last week with choirs ranging from 15 to 25 people singing in a semicircle. The mic was about 15 feet out roughly, and cabled into one of our cameras. Our little community cable station can't afford high end mics either. So we just rented a mic from an electronics supplier instead and the sound quality is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast