moveing to a monster!

I have been moved from the lively 32 channel in the tv booth to a 62 channel mixer in the main church. Normaly only one guy runs the thing, and I have not been able to talk to him about how he keps track of it all. Do you have any suggestoins on how to keep track of the mix with so menny channels to keep track of? Any ideas on how to keep a balensted mix? What am I lissoning for?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

subgroups!!!!!!

Hopefully once you get your levels (input gains) in the right spot, there won't be much change, unless (like many churches) you are dealing with an all - volunteer worship team, then it can be a lot of fun and will keep you on your toes. Most of the time once you get your mix set it will be a matter of paying attention to certain channels with inconsistant singers or to change who is singing the lead parts, etc.. Above 32 channels I use groups to give more broad level adjustments (all the drums to a group, all the guitars to another) so it can be a little easier.

Peter is right. Use subgroups, also you will find that most of the levels will just need to be dialed in at the beginning of the Service (i have done many shows, and have used the 64c boards) there should be only 2-3 sliders that you will have to touch once it all gets tested at the beginning of the day
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

subgroups

Another reason to use subgroups: With a lot of mics open, you get a lot of background noise. When the band is playing, this doesn't matter, as the music drowns out the noise. But when the band stops and the pastor starts speaking, the background noise becomes unacceptable.

Putting the whole band into a subgroup gives you a convenient way to turn everything associated with the band down at one time, like turning down a recording of a band.

There's one good reason to fiddle with the controls while the band is performing: most bands can benefit from constant re-balancing on the fly. But you need a very well trained ear to do this without causing more problems than you cure. Also, amateur musicians may find the constant gain changes unnerving. Professional musicians are used to it.