RITCH

Video Spec In Pp

Hi there

I just starting using Powerpoint yesterday.I am a begginer but I have editing for the last 10yrs professionally.
    My question regards bringing in video into Powerpoint. I have read most of the question and answers in the forum on this topic.
    The main Q&A I am trying to find is ,
    Ultimately what is the best video codec to use in PP, is it AVI, Mpeg, WMV or Mov?
    and what would be a good lenght for a movie clip to play at?, 30sec,20sec,10sec?
    and what size would be considered standard for a movie clip to play smoothly? 50mgb, 20mgb,5mgb?

rich

Blog Entries
    Hi Rich,

WMV is probably best for Powerpoint, at least according to my sources (I'm not a PP user myself). If you have your video in another compatible format I wouldn't bother converting it, but if you're starting from scratch then WMV does seem to integrate better (as you'd expect, since it's the MS format for a MS product).

It's usually a good idea to keep clips below 30 seconds unless there's a good reason to make them longer. Whether they should be 10, 20 or 30 seconds really depends on the content - there's no global rule.

Different computers will handle different video sizes differently, but if you have a fairly modern computer you shouldn't have any problem with full-screen video. I would just make the video so that it looks good, and then if you do have any problems playing back smoothly, try reducing the bitrate.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

RITCH

Video Specs on PP

THanks David.

The Information you gave me was handy for the project I was working on needed to be finished as of yesterday.
    I animated a sequence in After Effects then exported uncomppressed to Protools where I added music, then used media cleaner to covert to WMV.

thanks again

rich

Blog Entries
    Cool - happy to hear your project came together
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com