Quicktime VS WMV

Hi,

Does anyone know why, when I import a Windows Media movie thats about 2mb and export it with Adobe Encoder ( Adobe Premiere Pro) I get a QT movie that is 7-15mb?

The encoder is using ISDN streaming QT.

I don't undertand how it can make it so much bigger, where is that extra infomation coming from?

Also can someone recomend to me a program that converts movies to QT more efficiently than Premiere?

TIA
    Amelia

Blog Entries
    Not all codecs are created equal. Premiere uses the "Sorenson Video 3 Standard" codec, which doesn't optimize files as well as the professional version of the Sorenson codec. The following page has a good FAQ:
    http://www.sorenson.com/support/faq.php
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info, I read the FAQ and since your the second person to recommend this professional codec my client is actually purchasing it for me in exchange for website

I can't wait to get started with it. Does squeeze have a learning curve or is it faily explanatory?

Thanks,
    Amelia

Blog Entries
    It's pretty easy. You'll get the hang of it. Have fun
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Amelia

Using Soreneson

One thing people will want to know is that you have to import the video in raw format, or avi for it to work. That might be commen sense but I had to call in since I was having trouble. I'm playing around with it now. The movies still seem a bit large to me, I'm getting between 3-7mb so far using 256k streaming on Windows Media Player, Real and Quicktime.

Isn't that large?

Stargrrl

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, acccording to the Sorenson website you can import AAC, AIF/AIFF, ASF, AVI, DV, MOV, MP3, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WAV, WMA and WMV.

I use Sorenson Squeeze 4 for Macromedia Flash MX. I normally import DV files but I quickly tried importing and encoding a mov file this morning and it seemed to work okay.

It sounds like your movie file sizes are still bigger than the original WinMedia files. I don't know if it's possible for you to get the same file sizes - it may be that other formats are going to be a bit bigger. I know I've found it easier to get WinMedia files smaller than other formats (as much as I hate to say it).

As to whether 3-7MB is large, it depends on the length and content of the video.

I hope you manage to get the file sizes down enough to be usable. Obviously you'll be playing with a few different settings - hopefully you'll strike a formula that works. Let us know.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com