How do approach talents for sensitive photography projects

This is my first post and was hoping I could learn from you experts.

I am an instructional designer for a small non-profit organization. We help create training materials in the field of geriatrics. So in english, our products are used to help train med students and nurses how to take care of the elderly.

I've recently been given a project which we'll need to ask potential talents to pose as clinical patients. Although it could be easier to ask younger talents to pose as patients, asking older adults is much more difficult. I'll be working with someone who understands the language of making contracts. In addition, I'd like to know if there are any procedures or tips that you can give me to help approach potential talents.

If you need an example, I've provided a sample image of how I plan use any photographs them. In this image the program allows the user to conduct a "virtual physical exam". The user will click on the type of exam, and the location of where they plan to do the exam. When doing so the image shown will usually show nothing worth mentioning. However, in some cases bruises, lesions, or anything worth of note may be shown. These visual indicators will help the learner make decisions regarding lab tests, diagnoses, and treatment.

I'd like to present a document to them that explains what I'd need from a talent, but could use help in the specific language I should use. As of right now I estimate 20-30 locations to photgraph. And I know that so far that my client won't need to photograph "sensitive" areas. However, I still may need the photograph talent in their underwear, which is a concern of mine; I don't know how present that.

I realize that for my first post, its a bit awkward and subject to suspicion and potential ridicule. But I am a serious about my concerns. And want to learn from serious people who want to help.

My time is up.
    I thank you for yours.

Blog Entries
    Quote: RudyPicardo
    View Post
    I'd like to present a document to them that explains what I'd need from a talent, but could use help in the specific language I should use. As of right now I estimate 20-30 locations to photgraph. And I know that so far that my client won't need to photograph "sensitive" areas. However, I still may need the photograph talent in their underwear, which is a concern of mine; I don't know how present that.
    Hello RudyPicardo & Welcome,
    Although the talent maybe wearing what appears to be underwear, they can still wear their own so that the outside underwear is more like a costume. This would hopefully ease the talent's concern, since it's not their personal underwear that is being shown. And you can always edit the picture later so that they're wearing stars and stripes ( ok just kidding on that one).

In the contract be specific as much as your picture so that your talent has no surprises as to what is expected.

Depending on your digital manipulation talent, offer to remove a particular birth mark where their faces can't be seen so that they can still feel anonymous but this is at your own discretion.

Now, imho, it wasn't clear in your posting, let the client who hired you do the talent recruiting but be involved in the final say so. This let's the talent know that they're working for the company's product/services and you're just another hired hand. This also get's you off the hook of compensating the talent (unless you want to get involved in that). However, if recruiting is part of your job, you're in for a handful of work, that's why photographers usually go to talent agencies to do the leg work and sift through the nonsense. Simply put, recruiting is another job!

Hope I was a bit of help.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I think that you will find that it is easy to get the talent to do what you are looking for them to do. It is not hard, if you need to use a talent agency, and if you need the name of a good one, let me know and i will recommend you the one i use.

hope this helps
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Hi there Rudy Picardo. Good to have you here.

I concur with the other two. Photographers do not talent-hunt unless they are doing their own portfolios and want a specific personality.

A little more with the actual shooting. Where possible, you might have the models wear sports attire instead (a black swimming trunks for gentlemen) and sports bra, etc for the ladies. I don't see any contradicting possibilities to your end product, and since those are to be worn during exercise (and IN the public!), there will be less awkwardness. Be professional during the shoot, letting the model know exactly how you are going to shoot, how they are to pose, looking at them in the eye when you speak to them and not anywhere else. The more shifty your eyes are, the more uncomfortable you will make them. Have towels (beach towels are fine) and perhaps hot drinks within reach. Those, I trust, may help greatly.

And lastly, IF you are required to shoot sensitive parts, it might be better to check if there are any medical firms who have available ones to be used with a small fee/permission, rather than do it yourself, because from whatever I can gather you might not be too ready and comfortable to tackle those. To be honest, I personally will choose this option.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I also wanted to clarify a few things as my post was too short to be clear. I wanted my first post to be short and to the point, however when dealing with sensitive stuff like this I should have used all the words I could get my hands on.

I work for a very small company (less than 10 people). We deal primarily in the field of geriatrics. So the photos taken will be used to help medical students peform a virtual exam (without actually hurting an actual person).
    When it comes to any video/photography work, I'm the first person they contact. I have extensive experience in video production, anything involving talents posing in the nude is something I'm very unexperienced with. And since our company deals with photographing elderly people, that does place an additional point of concern.

In regards to casting, it is also my job, as we don't have a casting director. As much as I prefer working with a Talent Agency, the company's budget simply doesn't permit it. As a side note we originally wanted to work with union actors on video shoots, but found out that the company couldn't afford them. So a lot of work we do are with non-union actors/talents.

I posted on the "Photography" forum because I was hoping that some of you may have dealt with approaching talents when photographing them nude. Its possible that the post should have been in another forum. However, I can't tell which forum its supposed to be in. Since I am planning to take photos of talents that are nude, I thought this was the best place to start.

So essentially my concern is how do you approach elderly talents about posing in the nude?

=======================
    It might help if I gave more specifics things for the community to critique, so I wanted to post a DRAFT of a letter/e-mail that I'm putting together to present to nursing homes

Draft letter for obtaining elderly talents for Web-SP project (PDF file)

Its a draft so I don't even consider this a finished product. I just wanted to present what I have so far and get critiques at what I'm missing. In addition, I consider the proposed compensation fee inappropriate. I don't agree with the current proposal and think that they should be paid more. So any addition advice as what you professionals believe is an an appropriate fee is appreciated.

I sincerely hope I haven't over stepped my bounds in regards to how this forum should be used w.r.t. the content and my candor. As an administrator on another more socially oriented forum, I fully appreciate the seriousness of this post. I take all input from the professionals on this forum with sincerity and only wish to learn from all of you.

Thank you for your time.

Blog Entries
    Rudy,
    I'm glad that you've taken the effort to do your best to fill us in on the background. Was it necessary? I don't know, I took your post seriously so I responded with my best foot forward as well.

Here's a thought ... what's the possibility of using a mannequin instead? It would resolve a whole host of problems or is that just too tacky??
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.