Panasonic Camcorder

I am looking at buying one of the panasonic camcorders, PV-GS200 or PV-GS120. Both have 3 CCD chips, but are substantially cheaper than most other 3 CCD camcorders. Does anyone know if these are good cameras, and why the reduction in price? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    No personal experience but I've seen a few reviews which say good things about these cameras.

When you look at CCD(s) you also need to look at the size and quality, not just the number. Some 3-CCD cameras have smaller CCDs than others, so they aren't all equal.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I think one of those models replaced the discontinued PV DV953 which has better specs and can be had for a cheaper price. They can still be purchased new. Wouldn't hurt to check some out. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I think they're around $900.

Well i just got the Panasonic NV-GS200.. well not sure what is the difference between PV or NV models?

i can't find PV models in Malaysia. Geez...

Until now, it seems to be great... but i am reading the tutorials.. i am a noob in video

Blog Entries
    The NV-GS200 is the PAL version, the PV-GS200 is the NTSC version. Seems a bit silly really - you'd think it would be the other way around.

In fact I think Panasonic has used the letter N to denote NTSC and P for PAL in other cameras, so this is very confusing.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

The NV-GS200 is the PAL version, the PV-GS200 is the NTSC version.
    --> i thought it is the opposite...

actually what is the difference between ntsc and pal?

i am quite confuse...

is pal related to quicktime and ntsc is for windows media and real?

Cheers.

Blog Entries
    I've checked this on a few websites and they all seem to agree that the PV-GS200 is the NTSC version. Unfortunately the Panasonic site doesn't say anything about the difference. It is very confusing to say the least.

NTSC and PAL are television systems. NTSC is used in the USA, Japan and a few other countries. The rest of the world uses PAL. These formats don't have anything to do with quicktime etc.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I see. Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

Mike

PAL / NTSC difference

Does this mean if I get a NV GS200 3 CCD model I can't play the recordings on a NTSC TV and vice versa for the PV GS200 3 CCD regarding PAL TVs ?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's not impossible - some TVs and tape machines allow you to playback different standards. Of course you can also pay to have them professionally converted if you're feeling wealthy.

However there are plenty of problems and the quality is noticably worse. Much better to record and playback using the same standard if at all possible.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com