Blog Entries

Forum Member(s) of the Year?

I've been wondering about offering some sort of recognition or prizes to members who contribute the most in these forums.

I've always been a bit wary of this sort of thing because I don't want people to get all competitive or feel like they've been snubbed if they lose. There's also the view that it's nice to help other people for the intrinsic reward rather than cash prizes.

On the other hand there are a number of people (you know who you are) who dedicate a fair bit of time to this forum. It occurred to me that I'm starting to pay writers to write articles for this website, while the people who write heaps of useful stuff in the forums are going unrewarded.

Of course there's a limited budget for this but the website does bring in money from donations and advertising, so I'm happy to put a little bit aside for a few Christmas bonuses. Just a little bit mind you - I still need most of it myself .

I have a couple of ideas about how it could work. Perhaps the most obvious system would be to enable the "reputation" feature of the forum software - this would allow people to give "rep" points to other members who help them. In theory the person who accumulates the highest reputation is the most helpful.

Just a thought. What do you think?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I think that the "Rep" buttons are a good idea if controlled. i do not like when there is a (-1) button, because there is always some ass that just goes around trying to give everyone lees then him/her self. Also if it is for some kind of prize, there should be the option to add the points in PMs too, because there are alot of people that PM me looking for help, so i am sure that i am not the only one.

Let me know if you need any help with this dave.

Oh and i would like to nominate my self
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

My thoughts are with you Dave. I am usually more careful when dealing with 'rewards' and stuff. Frankly speaking, those people whom you pay to write deserve to be paid simply because they were commissioned to write! Even the cow that plough the field deserves its fair share of grass as 'payment', so I think that's justified.

At the end of the day, whether there will be a member of the year, or otherwise, I will still do what I am and have been doing. I did not join this forum to be rewarded this way, but just to see if there's anything I can be of help with, and others I can learn from. That is a good enough reward.

Cheerio
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

nager has a point.

I would not do it for the money. I do it because i Like to be # one any looked up upon....
    Manoni Productions

Blog Entries
    I too agree with nagar .

I'm not so much for rewards aside from giving my thanks when I learn something new or giving praises for
    recognition of technical or sound advice. Believe it or not, I'm using this forum for my own selfish reasons but in return I expect little in return - a simple thanks let's me know I've given some help.

Dave - hopefully you'll be able to figure this one out!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    Some thoughtful and useful comments there - thanks a lot. I'll continue to listen to comments and think it over.

In the meantime here's a quick heads up... I'm going to be upgrading the forum software soon and one of the new features will be the ability for members to create photo albums. I know this feature has been requested here before so I'm rapt that it's coming.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Great ideas Dave.

I think the repliers above are the ones that i would nominate for prizes for being so helpful around the place.
    I hope the enjoy their kiwiana tea spoons.

I think i should get a new prosumer video camera & tripod package for being generally "just a great guy" and being a fello kiwi there would be no shipping cost since i can pickup .

Seriously though Dave, those are some good ideas. Is there a place where users can upload their videos to show off or ask for help?

And another section for members tutorials would/could be good. Yours Dave are very good but if other members could make some to help you out it might really get the place alot mor activity.

And while I'm on a roll....how about a place members can show of some of their photos. I realize theres other places like Flickr that are for storing photos so i'm just thinking of something small for members.

Just some thoughts i had...
    Cheers all.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Quote: westie
    View Post
    Great ideas Dave.

I think the repliers above are the ones that i would nominate for prizes for being so helpful around the place.
    I hope the enjoy their kiwiana tea spoons.

Cheers all.
    what is this kiwiana tea spoon i hear so much about?

wait......I think i got it, is it a Teaspoon from kiwiana? man i am smart
    Manoni Productions

Sorry, teaspoons are out of stock.
    How about a little warrior

A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Cool i need some protection!
    Manoni Productions