Video Audio Tracks

I'm new at tape to tape editing and have some questions.
    I've come across different names for audio tracks by different companies.
    I recently aquired a couple Panasonic AG-7750 Player/Editors with a AG-A750 Edit controller.
    The VTR indicates Normal, Hi Fi, Ch. 1, Ch. 2 audio which 2 of the XLR jacks indicate a combination of Hi Fi / Normal and I think the others are just Ch. 1 and Ch.2.
    I'm assuming Hi Fi / Normal is the audio within the video track, correct? The VTR advertises Hi Fi on the front of the unit which I thought when stereo was advertised on consumer decks it was Ch 1 and Ch 2, not the mono (Normal?) track.
    Also I'm assuming if I shoot a video of concert footage and later edit, I wouldn't be able to assemble edit because that changes the video, normal and Ch 1 and Ch 2 tracks on every edit, correct?
    I'm thinking I'll have to insert edit sources into the master tape that contains the stereo sound, (Ch 1 Ch 2) with video and without an audio track on the video track, corect?(the edit controller combines them and calls it Video/ HD).
    I have Vegas but the conversion process into the computer needs a lot of (work, $$$). I'm having a hard time giving up my old JVC X1 SVHS camera for one that I can easily firewire into Vegas and I guess the reason for the 7750s. I know, I've gone back in time. I can't help it. The normal path is linear to non linear. Did I say Normal, I meant Hi Fi, no, Ch1 Ch2. Definately not Video/ HD.
    I think I've just given credence to nonlinear editing!

Blog Entries
    Not sure if this answers your question but anyway...

The AG-7750 has four audio tracks - two HiFi (embedded in the video) and two linear tracks. Therefore stereo audio can be recorded on either the HiFi or linear tracks. The difference between these industrial models and consumer models is that consumer models have only one (mono) linear track.

I'm not exactly sure of the terminology for your model, but I've always thought of "normal" as referring to the linear tracks.

Assemble editing will indeed overwrite both the HiFi and linear tracks. Your best option for a concert would be to have your stereo audio on the linear tracks and use insert editing. Unfortunately the linear audio will be "low-fi" compared to the HiFi tracks but that's one of the many compromises you'll be making with linear editing

Are you quite sure you don't want to take a second job and save your pennies for that nice new computer???
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the much needed clarification.
    I have a Sony Vaio with a gigapocket capture card that has a hard time running on anything but Sony's propriotory software which is DVGate and Click to DVD, which is ok for simple stuff. But there's no seperating the audio, transitions or any advanced editing functions.
    Another computer has Vegas + DVD but still needs a capture card.
    I was looking at a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 150. It doesn't have firewire but has all the other needed I/Os. It has a hardware mpeg 2 converter and can also save in AVI, mpeg 1, Real Audio and Windows Media. For around $150, It might be a way to go.
    I thought about just dumping it into the Sony and burning a DVD, then importing it into the other computer using Vegas but I have 4.0 and don't think it can work with mpeg 2 files. I think I would have to again convert it to DV, AVI, quicktime or something and that would be another conversion process resulting in who knows what.
    Any recommendations on a good quality capturing device that captures SVHS to DV?

Blog Entries
    I'm probably not the best person to recommend an analogue capture card (not enough experience with recent models) but if you could pick up a card for $150 that does everything you need, that sounds like a good way to go.

I agree that converting between different digital formats is not the best idea. It might work okay but most likely there will be a quality loss someone in that process.

I really do think you'll be better off finding a way to edit non-linear. Your video decks will be very useful but the real editing will be better done on a computer.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I found the Canopus ACEDVIO for $150 and it also has firewire in addition to the I/Os that the Dazzle has. I guess the Canopus is also a little higher end than the Dazzle. It's also PCI instad of USB.
    Now all I need to do is cough up $150.
    Does anyone want to buy some editing VTRs?