Audio tracks in Premiere Pro

I guess it doesn't matter which editing software is being used as they'll probably all work the same way so......

Should background music be added above or below the main audio tracks?

Does it matter?

Cheers,
    westie
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

For audio, it doesn't matter. But as a good working habit, I leave tracks 1 & 2 (stereo) alone as they come together with the video track. I'll have (let's say) track 3 as my sfx track, and track 4 as my music track. That's just a basic idea. I do this so that I can mute (for example) the music track if I just want to hear the sound efx track.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

It does not matter at all. However, once you start getting in to 5.1 and 7.1 surround, then it does matter. So my suggestion is to always lay the voice track on Line one and two, Nat sound on 3 and 4 and BG music and SFX below that
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Thats the way I've been doing it.

But something got me too thinking (and thats when the trouble started )

I was just curious if the audio tracks worked like the video tracks.
    If you place something in video track two it will overlay track one unless you drop the opacity.
    I know this doesn't seem to happen in the audio tracks but does it have any effect at all?.

By the way Kaw, whats "Nat sound"?

Cheers all,
    westie

Audio in Premiere Pro

Westie. It doesn’t matter in Premiere Pro where you place the audio tracks. You should however plan to put audio tracks in the same order each time to facilitate a smooth and routine workflow. “Nat” sounds referred to by kawsakimx6 are most likely ambient tracks. Remember that Premiere will always place a mono track at least 3 tracks below the video. Stereo has preeminence over mono. As for layering, consider each audio track as a transparent layer, you can stack them forever.
    Last edited by Giant; 2nd Apr 2008 at 03:23.

Ok thanks Giant and welcome to the forum.

One more question if you all dont mind....
    If I'm making a long video and using several music mp3's as background music in the project, should i place each song on its own track or can they all be lumped altogether on the one track?.

Cheers.

Audio tracks

I leave mine on the same track. It saves space and allows me to have more control. The only time this won't work is if you need to have the tracks overlap or transition during play. Example: you have a opener with intro music and you want a talking head to start speaking before the music is finished. You would put each audio track on a differant track so you could fade up one while you fade down the other.

Quote: Giant
    View Post
    I leave mine on the same track. It saves space and allows me to have more control..

I about 100% disagree. the only thing i do agree with is that it will save you some "room" but it is much easier to manage if they are on separate tracks. acutely what i would suggest is to open Soundtrack Pro or Adobe Audition or what ever your audio editor program is and place them all in separate tracks there and then get them how you want them to sound, then export the file as a single track
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

I used to place them all on the same track (those that don't overlap) but have recently started putting them on separate tracks.
    My thinking was that it would be easier to adjust the volumes in the audio mixer later on when doing fine tuning/tweaking.
    Am i right in thinking this?

Kaw, i do have Cool Edit Pro but haven't learned how to use it as of yet.
    ( I'm trying to teach myself all these programs at home in my spare time so it can get a bit overwhelming at times )

Audio

Yes