Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HD camera/editing

I am helping a friend purchase a camera and they want a HD camera. I am new to HD myself and have a few questions. First, if they shoot on HD, what is the best way to edit the footage? Second, they have around $1500 for the camera, any suggestions? Lastly, how much hard drive space does HD take?

Hi
    Your best bet would be probably the Canon HV20 which would suit his budget.
    You can edit the footage in most updated NLE's but remember that he will probably have to upgrade his computer to handle the HD files!! If he is lucky enough to own an HD TV and BluRay disk player then he will also need a BD disk burner to create the BluRay disks too. Don't under-estimate the computer!! You will need at least a dual core machine and some huge hard drives to just get started (quad core is better)
    He will probably need to spend at least twice what he pays for his camera to get his computer system up to HD standard. BluRay burners in my part of the world are still around $600 as are players and the disks are $20 a pop!!!

To give to an idea of HD file sizes, you can fit about 6 minutes of video on a standard DVD so at the moment with BluRay gear being very costly, most are shooting in HD and still downsizing to SD for the final product.

My personal feeling at present is by all means buy an HD camera but use it in SD for the time being until prices drop. He will probably need 3 times his budget to actually produce an HD disk!! Only 1/3rd will go on the camera!

Chris

HD ediiting

Those are big questions. First and foremost you must know what the end use is going to be. Is this for home videos or commercial? Will you be wanting to distribute the video to others? Why the need to capture in HD? A lot of people get "cranked up" to shoot HD without reason. Tell me more and I will respond. I need to know use and delivery method.

First off the end goal is commercial. He wants to send demo tapes of his product to companies he works with. He owns a rubber stamp business and wants to have a video that the companies can use for showing design/technique to customers. So that is a factor. My guess is he wants an HD camera for the future. What is sounds like I can shoot HD, but down convert to SD. If that is so, would the computer still have to be upgraded? I not sure what he has, still am waiting for that info.

Thanks

HD video

Yes the computer would still have to be at least a dual or quad core. you would need at least 1 terabyte of storage and that would need to be firewire or faster access. The original file size is not so large, but when you start editing the file sizes grow expedentialy. An original file size of 1 gig can grow to 50 gigs in storage needs.

If you are doing talking head shots a audio input would be nice for a mic.
    It is also nice if the camera has a threaded lens. You can get adaptive lenses that can help a lot.
    Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic are the cameras you want to look for.
    A tripod is a must to look professional.

Quote: Giant
    View Post
    Yes the computer would still have to be at least a dual or quad core. you would need at least 1 terabyte of storage and that would need to be firewire or faster access. The original file size is not so large, but when you start editing the file sizes grow expedentialy. An original file size of 1 gig can grow to 50 gigs in storage needs.

If you are doing talking head shots a audio input would be nice for a mic.
    It is also nice if the camera has a threaded lens. You can get adaptive lenses that can help a lot.
    Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic are the cameras you want to look for.
    A tripod is a must to look professional.
    What camera are you using? for a HD commerical a Terabyte is total over kill. Now do not get me wrong, having a terabyte is great (I have a couple of Pedobytes) but not what he needs!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Is it possible to buy a HD camera and convert down to SD. With the intention to go back and use the HD footage when it becomes more available. Or do I need to shoot SD? I don't know how much money he has for computer upgrades, if any.

With most HDV cameras you can down convert to SD on capture, this works very well with the Canon HV20 for example.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

kawsakimx6 I totaly disagree. If you are mastering in Hd then you have to render to a differant file type and and save the rendered master. Then upon import to the editing suite you have all the saved and temp files. Then you have the finished product, then you have the down conversion file. It adds up so quickly. Also you can't (or shouldn't go over 3/4 disc capacity). I work with HD every day and have 4 terabytes that I'm always having to offload because of room. I say at todays prices 1 terabyte is minimum, although 500 gigs would work on a very small project.
    Last edited by Giant; 2nd Apr 2008 at 19:38.

Giant,

Again i am not too sure what your camera HD Files are, but i make 30 min TV shows every day in HD and SD, and each day we use a 360g Drive for the show, from camera to air.

As i said, i would recommend as much space as he can afford, but to tell him he NEEDS a terabyte MINIMUM is just crazy.

Oh and by the way, just so you all know We only save a show (project files) for a week it is not like i have thousands of hard Drives lying around. then we just save the finished show to tapes after they air
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast