Best mini dv tapes

I shoot ona Sony PD 150 and use Sony SVC 60 min premium tapes- ie:
    http://www.expotv.com/Sony-DVC-60-Mi...DV-4-pk/2v-i5a

any other tapes you recommend? or do all you Sony users stick to sony tapes by religion? just wondering...

Hi Erijane

I have never seen any REAL difference between tapes to be honest and I just use TDK with my Panasonics and they are easy to get and great quality. Even in the old VHS days I paid a fortune for Sony "Broadcast" tapes and seriously never saw any difference in the footage between those and good quality tapes (and that's analogue!! Digital isn't so fussy)
    The only really important thing with DV is if you are going to use "lubricated" tapes then stay with them from day one!!!! Never ever use anything else otherwise you will encounter unreal head clogging!!

I must admit if I was shooting on a PD150 or 170 I would use DVCAM tapes!

Chris

Hi erijane,
    Sony keeps changing the color of the wrappings of their tapes but they're really the same stuff, from red to orange (the one you are holding) and now blue. In short, I am using the same tape as you, mainly due to the price. It's very affordable. When I shoot on HDV, I use the Sony HDV tape (white).

Something that has been shared in the forum before is that it's usually a better practice to use the same brand of tape.

Just an aside, Chris. I have tried to use TDK tapes before. In terms of quality they are as what you have mentioned, no visible difference. But in terms of build, I have had those tapes snap on me and I had to open the entire tape to reconnect it. It happened more than once. Perhaps this just happens to me and no other users, but I am just sharing this and not discrediting or discouraging those out there to try it for yourself nd perhaps point out what my issue might have been.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Hello erijane,
    Just to expand also to what Chris and nagar has mentioned - most equipment manufacturers optimize their equipment to their tapes due to it's formula, this is what makes them compatible. Finances determine many things and sometimes corners are cut, eventually the reward or consequences will only be realized down the road. If one does come across another brand that holds up well and is cheaper, then by all means get it!
    Last edited by SC358; 5th Apr 2008 at 15:49. Reason: grammar
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thank you

Thanks for your input-

Just as a side thats no me in that review just a ref. to the tape..lol

I use Sony HDV tapes. They are really just for backup, since i shoot directly on to hard drive. so i guess i really could take a step down...
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

cards , eh?

Quote: kawsakimx6
    View Post
    I use Sony HDV tapes. They are really just for backup, since i shoot directly on to hard drive. so i guess i really could take a step down...
    what camera do you shoot on?
    Last edited by kawsakimx6; 28th Apr 2008 at 15:02.

I have 2 JVC GY-HD250U Cameras. I love them they are the best things that i ever bought

Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!