Thread: Need Help...

Need Help...

Hey Guyz...I m 16 yrs old. I am interested in film making and editing..Can u guys give me tips for shooting a scene from different angles and editing it. I got Adobe Master Collection CS3 and Panasonic AG-DVX100B videogear...Thanks.

Hi kalmati92, wow that's some seriously neat gear you've got over there. Before any help can be rendered, it is best if you can be a little more specific about what you are asking about. Are you concerned about:

1. You already have a script ready to be shot and you don't know how to go about it? Perhaps creatively shooting it.

2. You want to shoot something and you want to know the entire process, from planning and preparation to shooting to editing and mastering.

Please let us know. I might not be available to comment in the next few days (as I am currently outstation), but there are many I trust who can give really great advice and practical help (virtually of course but it is definitely helpful)

Cheerio!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Hi kalmati92 and welcome,
    It's great that you have the tools to work with but getting tips in a general sense doesn't help unless you're looking for something specific. Overall, try to get as much footage of the different angles as you can so that you have choices during editing. This is all determined by your storyboard.

Although it is all a new experience for you - technically speaking there is nothing new that you will discover. I suggest that you do critical critiques of great films or directors. View it not to enjoy but to see how the angles and framing tell the story. Hopefully you'll be inspired to work out your shots. If you want to know how something was done specifically, then we can certainly shed some light with our expertise in this forum, which might include some tips and tricks.

Genius - 10% inspiration 90% perspiration.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks..

Thanks alot for ur replys...I shot a scene from different angles but the problem is that the actor's actions suddenly change by the changing of angles. Its looking bad....Is it becuz of bad screenplay? Is it Screenplay necessary? Should I use multi-cams? Putting each videocamera in different angles.Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by kalmati92; 6th Apr 2008 at 03:26.

Hi
    Basic rules always apply here regardless of the camera angles.
    Draw an imaginary line that runs at 180 degrees between yourself and the talent. If you cross that line then you will get reverse actions which look like the talent has suddenly changed direction. Bad news!!

If you are using just one cam then shoot the scene twice. Shoot it as a wide shot and follow the action. Then get them to do it all over again and shoot close to get expressions and action closeups.

Never cut between closeups or wides unless they are vastly different!! Rather establish the scene with a wide shot then insert closeups to provide another angle. ie: if it's a fight scene..shoot it all in wide angle and then when the bad guy lands that killer punch replace it with a closeup to add impact.

Yes, you HAVE to have a story!!! Without a story you have no video..It MUST have a beginning, middle and end!!

You might want to take a quick look at my movie at Metacafe
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/106152...order_secrets/

That will give you all the essentials to movie making

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisHarding; 6th Apr 2008 at 08:57. Reason: Wrong URL to movie

Thanks Chris

Thanks alot Chris...I understood....Is there any other techiques which can be used in a fighting scene?

Cutaways are useful too!! If more than 2 people are involved then also film on lookers reactions. If it's in a public place then people yelling "fight, fight" will immmediately alert the viewer to focus on where the camera is leading to. Pay special attention to audio fx like body hits.
    It's also important to pay close attention to body damage. A sure sign that the production is an amateur one is when the combatants pound each other for 10 minutes and there faces are unmarked!! You need a bit of blood, bruises which need attention.
    I am currently introducing a new page to my video website on DIY props and one of the first tutorials that will be out towards the end of this week will be one on blood recipes, creating wounds and doing makeup for bruises.
    The link is :
    http://www.softweigh.com/video/props.html

Check it in a couple of days to see what's there.

Finally if you have a decent NLE then try a few slomo shots too using closeup punches. If your actors are convincing enough you can even do it in real time but remember that after a real rough-house bout both participants need to be sweating heavily!!! For closeups spray them both with a spray bottle filled with water so you have droplets of "sweat" running down their faces. It looks impressive!!!

Thx.

Thanks again Chris..U r the man...Which angles and shot should be used when two ppl r talking wid eachother on a street?
    Last edited by kalmati92; 8th Apr 2008 at 03:57. Reason: .

Where you need to show both of them, say, arguing, then a mid shot is great. If you then need to emphasise the shot then do an OSS (Over shoulder shot) with the cam shooting over the shoulder of the one person and closeup of the other one. You can then do the reverse for the other person. Remember not to cross the line of action otherwise the angle may look strange.
    Remember that low angle shots will make the person look dominant whilst high angle tend to make them look submissive.
    A very good learning method is to watch an action movie with the sound turned off...it allows you to concentrate on the camera work

Thx...

Thanks alot alot...U helped me alot....I will watch Bourne Ultimatum..:P Our shooting will be started on May...Our script writer has finished writing...Cant wait to shoot..:P