New to the game

Good experimental video cameras

Hello there everyone!

Film is something that has interested me since as long as I can remember, and finaly in September I get to study TV & Film production at university level. I have read alot of threads asking what sort of camcorders people should get for weddings, home movies, and so on. However, although I am known for missing things that are right infront of my nose, I havn't seen any recommendations for people wanting to make short films and their own shows.

What I was hoping, is for people 'in the know' to recommend good beginner camcorders for creative people who want to experiemnt with their video camera but also learn the basics too. I am new to this so maybe I'm way out of my depth even posting this thread, but I do hope people understand what I mean... (And it's not tacky effect after tacky effect.)

Well this is me signing off for now. If I'm an annoying newbie then sorry, but hopefuly I can offer alot more to the forums once I begin my course and have some experience.

Thank you

Itsuki

The best way to learn the tricks of the lens, in my opinion, is to shoot with a full-manual lens. The cheapest way to do this is with a still camera, as pro video cameras cost quite a bit and consumer cameras tend not to offer fully manual control.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hello!

Personally I'd recomend you an older ENG camera. You can buy used ones on e-Bay below 1000EUR. Yo will have a real professional piece of equipment (all manual controls, to quality lenses etc.). It will have some disadvantages: It will probably come with Betacam SP recorder - so for computer editing you will have to capture your video with some kind of analogoue video grabber, and you will be limited to TV resolution. The tapes will cost more than DV ones, and you can't but them in a next-to-your-door shop. The same is about batteries. An the last thing is that it will be heavy and big beast.
    Personaly I'm working with a 3-tube ENG camera and U-Matic protapack, and I'm happy with it. But I'm crazy, so don't take me seriously.

Maciek

Just a few points!
    If you are doing an accredited course full time they will undoubtably have a full studio setup and you will get plenty of hands-on experience. So you don't really have to go out and buy a $300,000 digibeta camera. If you purely want to "practise" then a shoulder mount ENG is ideal but stay away from weddings and anything that is precious memories because the quality of old ENG's won't be good enough.
    IF you want to do social events and weddings for "experience" then get a reasonable MiniDV camera with manual controls so you can give people the end result. It all depends on your budget!!!
    You can actually do the ENG practise thing even cheaper!!! Look for one of the Panasonic M or MS Series Shoulder Mount cams. They have full manual and use VHS or SVHS tape which is cheap and you can also "hotwire" the battery packs as they are standard 12 volt sealed gels and are in-expensive. A Panny M10 or an MS1 go for almost nothing on eBay and have full manual controls. In fact for practise you don't even have to capture as you can use the cam directly as a VCR into your TV to see your results.

Chris