KMD PM 6 150 mixer questions

A friend gave me a KMD PM 6150 mixer and two speakers. I've been using it for the past few weeks and it worked great. Tonight as I was playing with my guitar the sound kept on cutting in and out. I don't know anything about it so I was hoping somebody could help me troubleshoot. It seems like the mixer is always receiving my input ok, but the output is what's cutting. I don't think its a cables issue or one of the speakers (but then again I don't know.) Any guesses where to start?

Quote: pippistrellodaqua
    View Post
    A friend gave me a KMD PM 6150 mixer and two speakers. I've been using it for the past few weeks and it worked great. Tonight as I was playing with my guitar the sound kept on cutting in and out. I don't know anything about it so I was hoping somebody could help me troubleshoot. It seems like the mixer is always receiving my input ok, but the output is what's cutting. I don't think its a cables issue or one of the speakers (but then again I don't know.) Any guesses where to start?
    How do you have your guitar connected to the mixer? How menny channels does this mixer have? Do you get the "cutting in and out only on the guitar? Have you tryed other sorces of input?
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

Thanks for the reply. There are 6 inputs. The sound cuts in and out on all 6 inputs and on both the guitar and mic. For that reason I don't think its an input problem. I get the same thing with one speakers as I do with two speakers, so I don't think its a speaker problem either.
    One more thing I noticed is that there seems to be three levels of volume coming out. First (and increasingly more often) is no sound except for the acoustic strings themselves. Second a slight output like you'd hear coming out of somebody sitting next to you's Ipod headphones. And third, the correct amplified sound. The sound seems to cut in and out at random between these three variations. I haven't noticed any change when I move or play certain frequencies or anything. To me it all appears to be random. Also, when the guitar cuts out the mic does to. I hope that gives a bit more info. Thanks for the reply. Keep it coming please!

View Post
    Thanks for the reply. There are 6 inputs. The sound cuts in and out on all 6 inputs and on both the guitar and mic. For that reason I don't think its an input problem. I get the same thing with one speakers as I do with two speakers, so I don't think its a speaker problem either.
    One more thing I noticed is that there seems to be three levels of volume coming out. First (and increasingly more often) is no sound except for the acoustic strings themselves. Second a slight output like you'd hear coming out of somebody sitting next to you's Ipod headphones. And third, the correct amplified sound. The sound seems to cut in and out at random between these three variations. I haven't noticed any change when I move or play certain frequencies or anything. To me it all appears to be random. Also, when the guitar cuts out the mic does to. I hope that gives a bit more info. Thanks for the reply. Keep it coming please!
    Well the mixer could be messed up, if you got it from a friend, it may be time to just cell the thing and get a new one.
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

Do you see the cutting in/out in the VU meters as well? Do you have a way to test the cable and speaker system independent of the mixer?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Ya, the meters look good too. I swapped out some cables yesterday so and I get the same result. Could I plug the mixer into a guitar amplifier to test it? Who knows, maybe it's a speaker problem. . .
    Any further suggestions?

Check the master volume pot and work that back and forth vigorously for a minute as that may be dirty and causing the low output and then full volume problem, when you have it working does it sound scratchy or static sound as you adjust the volume? it may just be dirty.

View Post
    Ya, the meters look good too.
    What do you mean by this? Are they cutting out or are they staying good?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler