Thread: Sound proofing?

Sound proofing?

I'm in a metal band which just moved from 13 acres in North Pole, Alaska to Ft. Worth, Texas where our neighbors live on our shoulders. We practice in the 2 car garage and the door is made of aluminum. We've had several noise complaints from the Home Owner's Assossiation and we're currently out of ideas on how to put a halt to these damned sound waves. We've tried and blown a great deal of money on everything we can think of. Any ideas? Preferably something cheap at this point in time.

Cheapest: Turn the amps down all the way, muffle the drums, etc.
    Medium expense: Egg crates everywhere
    More: Sound-deadening foam everywhere
    Even more: Sound-deadening foam in strategic locations as dictated by a sound designer.
    Even more: Room-within-a-room construction + sound-deadening foam
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Quote: Turbid North
    View Post
    I'm in a metal band which just moved from 13 acres in North Pole, Alaska to Ft. Worth, Texas where our neighbors live on our shoulders. We practice in the 2 car garage and the door is made of aluminum. We've had several noise complaints from the Home Owner's Assossiation and we're currently out of ideas on how to put a halt to these damned sound waves. We've tried and blown a great deal of money on everything we can think of. Any ideas? Preferably something cheap at this point in time.

The only way to keep sound from leaving the designated space is to stop the transfer of energy from inside to outside, that would be to build a room within the room thus leaving dead space between the surface of the new interior walls and the pre existing structure. scince I would assume that you have a concrete floor that works in your favor as you need not isolate the new structure from the floor as well. Then you need to make or purchase som sort of bass traps as this is usually the most problematic frequency range to contain.

Sound leakage

While the band is playing, have someone walk around the outside of the garage. I'd bet you will find that most of the leakage is coming through the garage door, and through a window if there is one, and comparatively little coming through the walls.

Sound absorbing material has limited usefulness. It might help by soaking up some of the sound in the room, thereby reducing the ambient level, thereby reducing the leakage. But to stop sound transmission, you need solid blockage. Sorry about that.

But it may not be as bad as it seems. You probably need only to construct a barrier behind the garage door. This can be a wall or, if the garage must remain useable as a garage, swinging doors. Build a 2X4 frame and put sheetrock on the inside. Put fiberglass between the studs. This gives you a "sandwich" - garage door, air space, fiberglass, sheetrock. You have to seal all around the sheetrock; if there's even a quarter inch slit where sound can get around the barrier, isolation will be greatly reduced.

All this depends on my guess that most of the sound is coming thru the door. If not, all bets are off.