webbbs user

Is webbbs really dead?

I'm a long-time user of webbbs and I've been following the threads on the support forum. I need to decide whether to upgrade to the next version of webbbs or go with something different. Unfortunately the forum in question is a private forum for a social services agency so I can't show you what I'm working with.

My forum users are used to webbbs and they are happy enough with it but they do ask me about features like avatars from time to time.

My real concern is how long webbbs will survive. I've seen people say it's already dead but Lynne pointed out that a lot of sites are still using it. Is it safe to stay with webbbs or will I just be creating more work for myself in the long run?

Blog Entries
    There are two main reasons why I think WebBBS is dead:
    (1) It is embassassingly out of date with no realistic strategy to catch up to the competition.
    (2) The shocking attitude of Kevin Dearing towards his customers (just this week I had an email from a guy who asked Kevin a simple question and was answered with sarcasm - that guy changed to phpbb the same day).

To clarify, I think WebBBS is dead in the same way that Windows 95 is dead. There are still many people using Win95 but no one would consider installing it on a new computer. Likewise, there will be installations of WebBBS on the net for many years to come. It was once the King of Forum Software and it's legacy will be with us for a long time.

Unfortunately, that's what it now is - legacy software. If you look at the sites running WebBBS, they tend to be older websites (often running old versions of the script - 2.x in some cases!). A few years ago it was easy to find new or high-profile sites using WebBBS. Nowadays those using WebBBS tend to be "leftovers" from when it was popular, or people who haven't fully explored all the options (e.g. some hosting services still offer WebBBS as a free forum option). High-profile and busy sites have mostly migrated to other software.

I spend a lot of time in webmaster forums and I like to take note of the "What forum software is best?" threads. It has been more than two years since I was able to convince anyone to take a second look at WebBBS. These days it is dismissed out of hand.

On the plus side for existing users, I don't think Kevin will be shutting down the support forums any time soon. And to be fair, he usually does respond to support requests (as long as you can deal with his unpleasant, sarcastic chiding). And of course rare updates may still be released for the faithful (but won't put WebBBS back in contention for new installations).

All the doom and gloom is assuming that there will be no miraculous change of attitude by Kevin. Although I think Kevin has had a nasty fright by the strength of feeling against him, and he has made a (small) attempt to respond appropriately, I also think his recent messages have shown him to be one leopard who ain't gonna change his spots.

Despite all the above, it's possible that you might be better off staying with WebBBS for a little while. If it's working for you without any problems there's no urgency to change. If "eye candy" such as avatars are your biggest concern, I believe the next version will be a big improvement. And since there are new versions of WebBBS and phpBB due out before too long, you might like to sit tight and see what happens.

Good luck with your decision. I don't envy you - I'm glad I'm past that particular anguish
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

webbbs user
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will stay with webbs for a bit and see what happens. At least long enough to see how well the next version goes. I've had a quick look at it but they need to sort out a few bugs yet. I'll be patient.

The new version looks good but it's only being released because everyone is jumping up and down so much. I wonder if we will need to keep applying the same pressure to get new versions in the future. I'm not one to get involved in those arguments so I hope not.

USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)
    I think Dave pretty much stated the way it with webbbs in the current web environment. The point I was trying to make with the posts where I found the current number of websites using webbbs is that I think that Darryl was compensated for the webbbs development work that he did. I don't know if Kevin will be able to do the same.. different world, now. I do not find much logic in the path Kevin has taken. Imo, it has really hurt webbbs. And Darryl should have done something a long time ago, way before he actually turned it over to Kevin, when he realized he didn't have time for it anymore. Instead, he just let it sit.. which is the kiss of death for this kind of software.

As for your situation, you might look at Tarty's site. He has some shareware and some freebie mods for webbbs. Maybe you can find what you need there to hold you over until you decide what to do in the longterm.

His mods are here:
    http://198.64.185.46/cgi-bin/webbbs/mods.pl

and his forum for asking questions about the mods is here:
    http://198.64.185.46/cgi-bin/webbbs/test.pl
    Last edited by Lynne; 23rd Dec 2004 at 06:33.

USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)

Re: Is webbbs really dead?

updated to say Tarty's website is now here:

http://tarty.webdesignassoc.com/

and to say that it is now Feb 2006 and Kevin still has not released V6. It doesn't look like he ever will.

It has gone from bad to worse.