Transfering video to computer

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum so Hello. I am trying to get some video from my JVC DV800 to my laptop. I can't seem to find the disc that came with the camera so thats a problem. I am pretty sure I need a driver of some sorts. Where can I get the driver. I also heard that I cannot transfer through the USB, is this true? Will I need to go through the DV output? Any help would be great.

Thanks

What program are you going to use to capture the footage from the camcorder?

Yes, you will need to capture via Firewire as you have a MiniDV camcorder.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

not sure if that cable came with it. I don't as of yet have any software for capturing the video. Any suggestions there would be great. The budget is tight this time of year so I won't be spending a lot. I guess I will need to find a cable somewhere. That shouldn't be to difficult. What else will I need. As you can tell I am pretty green when it comes to the video thing.

Hi Racetra

All you need to capture your video is a firewire card in your laptop (check first it might even have one!!!) and a standard firewire cable.
    If you are on a really tight budget then, as long as you are using Windows you will find Windows MovieMaker which is a free package already installed on your computer.

Chris

Well, one down two to go. I do have movie maker. That will be a good start. I am leaving for a 5 day riden trip and was hopin to download video while I am there but it will have to wait til I get back. I will do some research on the card and a cable to get an idea as to the $$ amount.

Most newer laptops or desktop main boards have a firewire port built in so check if there is a socket there. The cable will cost just a few dollars!!

Chris