Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of getting a new camera

Hi Guys,

Guys, I need you help, Im thinking of upgrading my video camera at the moment I have a hard drive camera, the quality is good, but its not perfect, do you suggest that I go back to minidv, I do heaps of editing in premiere.

Let me know,

Wayne

Blog Entries
    Quote: wayne90210
    View Post
    I have a hard drive camera, the quality is good, but its not perfect,
    Could you expand on this a bit? What is it that would make good - perfect? Is the camera giving you a problem or is it the work flow?

Inquiring minds want to know...
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi Wayne

Bear in mind that most Hard Disk Camcorders convert the video straight to an MPEG2 file (otherwise you would never get enough drive space)
    Re-rendering an MPEG2 a second time after editing means you will lose quality as you are already working with a highly compressed file.
    I still stay with MiniDV cos I edit everything and until we get Data Cards like the P2 coming down in price, the only other option is AVCHD which requires a really fast computer and a very up to date NLE!!!

I'm personally staying off HD until prices drop a bit cos you have to realise that after buying an HD camera you then will, more than likely, have to upgrade your computer to a dual or quad core, buy huge extra drives and software. Then you can ONLY watch and produce HD if you have a BluRay burner on your computer and then a BluRay DVD Player and full HD TV!!!!
    Where we are, buying a $2000 HD camera eventuates into a total outlay of over $10,000 after you have upgraded everything else to HD!!!

MiniDV is still the most convenient way to store your raw footage and because everyone is trying to win the "technology race", older camcorders have dropped in price.
    If you are thinking of going HD later then a camera that does both SD and HD is a good compromise like the Canon HV20 or Sony HD1000 (if you want a shoulder mount camera)

Chris

I agree with Chris's point regarding MiniDV. I highly recommend the Canon XL2. It's a MiniDV, and one of the best in its class (in my opinion). I've had the chance to use it a few times among a sony that was even more expensive.

Check it out on newegg:
    Link to NewEgg / XL2

But always check eBay first! Look here: Link to XL2 on eBay

NewEgg wants 3500 for a brand new XL2, and this seller is 2400, and includes extra lenses, tripod, and all this stuff.. Apparently all brand new too.

I love ebay! ..

MiniDV is still the most convenient way to store your raw footage

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi Wayne

Bear in mind that most Hard Disk Camcorders convert the video straight to an MPEG2 file (otherwise you would never get enough drive space)
    Re-rendering an MPEG2 a second time after editing means you will lose quality as you are already working with a highly compressed file.
    I still stay with MiniDV cos I edit everything and until we get Data Cards like the P2 coming down in price, the only other option is AVCHD which requires a really fast computer and a very up to date NLE!!!

I'm personally staying off HD until prices drop a bit cos you have to realise that after buying an HD camera you then will, more than likely, have to upgrade your computer to a dual or quad core, buy huge extra drives and software. Then you can ONLY watch and produce HD if you have a BluRay burner on your computer and then a BluRay DVD Player and full HD TV!!!!
    Where we are, buying a $2000 HD camera eventuates into a total outlay of over $10,000 after you have upgraded everything else to HD!!!

MiniDV is still the most convenient way to store your raw footage and because everyone is trying to win the "technology race", older camcorders have dropped in price.
    If you are thinking of going HD later then a camera that does both SD and HD is a good compromise like the Canon HV20 or Sony HD1000 (if you want a shoulder mount camera)

Chris
    AGREED

External HD for Canon XL2

Well, tapes are cool, but they pile up. I have a bunce of Hi 8's around and everytime I shoot with my Sony camcorder I use up more tape. I'm thinking of moving up to a Canon XL2 but I don't want to pile up some more tape. Is there a way I can use a external HD to capture the footage and then I can dump it to my PC for capture & edit. What would be the best hook up?

If you want to only shoot video to a drive then your best bet is a FireStor drive which allows you to do a digital link from the camcorder via firewire and the capture is full DV not MPEG as in the domestic cams.

The world seems to be swinging towards card storage now except that P2 cards are VERY expensive and AVCHD needs a quad core computer!!

I like to keep my raw footage and MiniDV doesn't take up much space. You must also decide how you intend to store your raw footage unless you are confident to just shoot, edit and then ditch the tape...I would rather keep my masters!!!!

Chris

Chris,
    Agree, for the most part. Iím about 6 steps behind on any advance in technology, but in the slow process of moving to HD (or being forced to). I donít know how often people replace the home computer but mine is well out dated (4 years old) Iíve pushed it to itís limit, canít add any more to it or make it run faster so replacement is the only option. At some point we all replace equipment for whatever reason, the TV I bought is HD, the DVD player is HD, the play station the kids have will play AVCHD, so maybe the move to HD (AVCHD) is only a matter of time. My home computer is not duel core for sure, but I can still transfer AVCHD files from the camera to a hard drive, edit in Sony Vegas 8, render, and burn a DVD, granted it not a blue ray. Prices will come down and when itís time to replace the box perhaps a blue ray burner will be within reach and reasonable to add to the new computer.
    Davy

Hi to all,

wayne90210, we've heard pretty much various angles and solutions so far, what's your take?

As the for rest of the guys, you either be in the forefront of technology, where you literally pay dearly for it, or stay mainstream.

Panasonic's almost definitely moving to all-tapeless models (consumer, semi-pro and broadcast) in about 5 yrs' or so, but the good that they do is to assure the tape users about 10 yrs' of full support so far, according to the vendors over at my side.

Just an update, I am really intending to stop using Sony gear altogether. Too much propriety-based stuff (even composite cables!), too much changing (their minds I think) of models (just take their memory cards as an example). I am pretty fed up with these.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Quote: nagar
    View Post
    Just an update, I am really intending to stop using Sony gear altogether. Too much propriety-based stuff (even composite cables!), too much changing (their minds I think) of models (just take their memory cards as an example). I am pretty fed up with these.
    I totally understand your view. I think Sony equipment is outstanding, unfortunately, so are their prices. But at a personal level, I cannot afford what they are offering. I have always been happy with everything else that I've researched on based on the bells and whistles that I want and what I"m willing to live with.

But whoever has the financial pockets to afford pricey equipment - more power to ya! Consider yourself blessed.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast